Sign in to follow this  
redcorrado

brakes have stopped working and are smelling really bad

my brake pedal goes to the floor and so i havent got any brakes ,the back passenger wheel is boiling hot and stinks.

i can pump my brakes and they work for a second ,but thats it. any ideas before i take it too the garage .

Sounds like the rear calliper has ceased and it's probably overheated and boiled your brake fluid and I would imagine will have trashed at least one of your flexi hoses.

Any signs of boiled-over brake fluid out of the resevoir?

Not sure. i had a quick look to see if there was fluid in the resevoir and there was .then i got the missus to drive forward an back to see if the brakes were looked up ,but no signs of it .

Pass rear caliper has definitely seized.

New caliper, rear discs, rear pads, rear wheel bearings & a can of brakefluid will be your minimum shopping list. My advice would be to replace both calipers - the other side is very likely to have also started to seize.

havent ried on hills yet as car is now in car park will try tommorow ,but it was never great on hills. However its on the flat and i did try to drive with the handbrake on and it wouldnt ,if you now what i mean lol.

I'm with Steve, deffo a dead caliper which has seized on and boiled the fluid causing a lack of brakes...

Get it sorted ASAP and be VERY careful if you have to drive it anywhere as you may find that it does it again leaving you with no brakes... :|

new ones are just under £50 each (exchange) from ECP or GSF

If it's seized, then it needs either rebuilding or replacing...

redcorrado, The part that seizes on the rear calipers isn't the piston, it's the handbrake lever/mechanism. I have never known anybody successfully repair one of these.

Best to "bite the bullet" & replace both rear calipers. As stated earlier, when one caliper seizes, the other follows shortly afterwards.