Sign in to follow this  
ray_vr6

Corrados In Canada

Hi

After a wonderful trip to Canada - I am seriously thinking of moving there!

What is the corrado life like there? - are they available to buy or is it a serious option to ship my VR6 out? And then what are the requirements to make it legal?

Any info much appreciated

There's no shortage of Corrados in North America as long as you're after a G60 or VR6 (SLC). Exporting one from the UK to a LHD country wouldn't really make sense when they were sold as official imports over there.

Which part of Canada were you in?

Hi

Thanks for the replys - I was in Ontario, about 40 mins from Windsor (small town called Kingsville) and just accross from Detroit.

Good to hear that the VR6 is available - and with fuel costing $0.90 a litre (£0.45!!!) it sounds better by the day!

Looks like my VR6 may be going on the market over here in the near future - that will be a sad day.

hey dude!! I'm actually from Toronto living here in London for the moment. I have to disagree...there are very few "Good condition" Corrado's left in Toronto, or left in North America...very few were shipped by VW ...and we got the shit ones...2.7L 176 BHP. Your best bet is to get one from Germany and ship it over....which is what I'm doing! :twisted: Last year I was looking for a Corrado in Toronto and it was imposiible to find a mint one....unlike here in the UK.

What about the USA? - is that the same spec model they got? - just had a look on ebay canada and there were a couple for sale in LA - with free shipping yo Canada

same in the U.S....very few good condition ones left....and the expense of importing one into Canada is not worth the expense in my opinion....if it was a Porsche or Ferrari then importing one maybe worth it...but not a corrado

North American spec corrados are crap....headlights, engine, interior switches...alot of little differences but make for a big difference over all. I actually brought back a couple a euro spec headlights with me because people over in N.A kill for them...

Ok - looks like Germany is the way to go. Will keep a note of your details and if I do end up moving - will see how you got on with your sourcing of one there.

Thanks again

I know of 6 people personally that went to canada from the Uk and never came back!! I would personally recommend canada just from a quality of lifestyle persective...good luck with it...keep me posted.

Yeah, Canada is a rockin place and the CCC guys have some nice cars out there too zarman lives in Toronto and his C is the nicest one I've ever seen 8)

If I were you, I'd take a Storm over and you'd be a flippin' god at VW meets - I did look briefly into shipping a C over there last year, but there's something about the Canadian rules that mean the car has to be 15+yrs old before you can import it.

Bear in mind that there are about as many Corrados in the whole of Canada as there are in the UK - so they're few and far between. In most parts of Canada they also get ludicrous extremes of temperature too - so roasting hot in the summer and very, very cold in the winter and lots of salt on the roads - thus they don't tend to be in great shape.

Deffo move out there tho mate - it's a great place, but make sure you've seen Ontario in the winter as well as the summer - there's a big difference ;)

Im probally moving to canada next year! lol its great!

But i dont know if i should take the storm just incase i want to come back one day.

i dont think there is many over there i saw about 3 when i was there for 3 weeks in the summer, try looking at

http://www.autotrader.ca

I'm not quite sure but I think Storm's only came RHD, if that's the case you'll never be able to drive one over in Canada....

Yeah, the Storms were UK-only, which is why you'd be a Canadian god if you took one over - that 15yr+ old rule applies to RHD stuff. (Not sure if it applies to LHD stuff from off-continent too though)

hmmm....i know about the 15 yr rule however RHD drive cars fall under a different set of rules....i could be wrong

I have to say I only looked into it briefly, so don't take what I say as definite.

I found a website that some guy had written about how he imported an old London Cab to Canada and that was talking about the 15yr rule.