Sign in to follow this  
dutch

Suspension debate continues......

Ok, so here's the deal. I want to lower my VR but i'll be the first to admit it's for cosmetic reasons only!! I'll never put the VR on the track or am I really interested in vastly improving handling. My biggest issue is maintaining ride quality. I tried almost very suspension under the sun on other cars i've owned and i know what I don't want....

First off I'm not going coilovers...i think coilovers are great if your going to auto-x your car but from my experience with coilovers once installed I never touched them again...so not really worth the adjustability factor...I use to auto-x in a Hyundai Scope with coilovers...was great for that but that was it!

I know i'm going to go with a suspension kit...springs and struts...but i'm having some issues deciding which ones....i've scoured this forum and done alot of reading and called around as well as talking to a few people and the 2 kits i'm deciding on is the Weitec GT kit or the Koni RSK kit (Koni reds). I've had the Koni Yellow kit on my last MK2 G60 and I was a little stiff for my liking even on the softest setting...I've had Koni reds on my old Acura CL and they were great! Money is not the issue here....it's ride quality i'm after...opinions much appreciated, especially people who have tried or have either of these kits...

Here's a list of my previous cars and the suspension i had on them...

91 Honda Civic (GSR motor) Eibach with facory struts..hated the ride quality

93 Hyundai Scoupe..Apex coilovers..great for auto-x..not for street

93 Acura CL...Eibach with Koni reds...very good..but Eibach's tend to be stiff...so Eibach is no longer on my list

91 and 93 Suzuki Swift GT (One Turbo'd, the other on Carbs) Both had Koni yellows..to stiff..so Koni yellows are off my list

93 Nissan Maxima....Eibach and Tokico..very nice ride quality..but big and heavy car so not a good comparison

91 Mazda MX-6 Turbo....Intrax with Tokico...Intrax...never again!!

88 Mazda 323 GTX...rally suspension..2" lift!! lol...lots of fun in the winter and great for amateur rallying...looked like shit!

Since coming to the UK:

MK2 Golf G60...Koni Yellow kit...to stiff....

and now the VR....

a few others but i'm getting bored..

So it's between Weitec GT or Koni RSK....

Sorry for the loooonnng post

thanks

d

Surely after being used to Candian cars though, all uprated suspension will be too stiff? I'm assuming that most Canadian cars have similar suspension settings to American ones....rather barge-like

I do realize that lowering any car with stiffen up the ride...but I'm looking for the least stiff factor...i just can't stand the VR's 4x4 look. and i'm too old now to do the "see bump coming and cringe!" or "see bump coming and swerve like some animal jumped in front of the car"

I only driven in a car with Bilstein struts....great handling but very stiff...i've never tried their coliover kit...just from the coilovers i have tried and driven I find they tend to be on the stiff side...i'll look into the h&r comfort

i've bitten the built and ordered the Koni SSK kit....If there here by Friday I'll get them in over the weekend. I'll post the results!!