Sign in to follow this  
JayPSC

Modded headlight loom

I know you guys upgrade the loom but is there any reason why the dipped beams cut out when full beams are on? Heat reasons perhaps?

Anyone modded their loom to have the dipped (or even fogs) cut in when full beam is on? Be nice to be able to see what is directly in front of the car lol.

Jay

Can be done to get dips on as well, only reason I can think that it doesn’t come on is to give a contrast for flashing the lights? Ill try and fine the necessary wires to do such a thing

JayPSC, I know what you're on about... ignore the two answers above who aren't on the same wavelength... ;)

The simple reason that the dipped part of the headlamp bulbs go out when the main beam part is on is simply heat generation... if you had BOTH on at the same time, your bulbs would blow VERY quickly...

If your headlights are very poor, then it sounds to me like you need a headlamp upgrade loom... They are a pair of relays that are activated by the original wiring which provide a much shorter wiring path straight to the battery (via a pair of fuses!) to make sure you get full power to your bulbs...

H100VW used to sell these, but as he's off to Australia shortly, he's handed over production to KUR2Y... They're dead simple to fit and make an amazing difference to the headlamps... I've got one of Gav (H100VW)'s kits on each of my Corrados... 8)

Supercharged, sciroccotune, He's on about the main headlamp bulb, not the extra main beam bulb. The main headlamp bulb has 2 filaments in it, one for dipped and one for main beam. When the main beam element is on, the dipped one goes out to prevent the bulb from burning out too quickly. The extra bulb in the inner lamp only comes on when the main beam is activated purely for extra lighting power... effectively they're the same as the spotlamps on an XR3i, only much, much classier! ;) :lol:

Ahh thought it was all about heat. Didn't realise the main bulb had 2 filaments, only had the car a couple months & been so busy with work I aint had a chance to do much to it. Gonna uprate the wiring loom anyways & probably mod it so the fogs come on as well just to give me that little extra hahaha.

Thanks

Jay

Supercharged, sciroccotune, He's on about the main headlamp bulb, not the extra main beam bulb. The main headlamp bulb has 2 filaments in it, one for dipped and one for main beam. When the main beam element is on, the dipped one goes out to prevent the bulb from burning out too quickly. The extra bulb in the inner lamp only comes on when the main beam is activated purely for extra lighting power... effectively they're the same as the spotlamps on an XR3i, only much, much classier!

:lol: :silly: :lol:

What he said!!!

I know you guys upgrade the loom but is there any reason why the dipped beams cut out when full beams are on? Heat reasons perhaps?

Anyone modded their loom to have the dipped (or even fogs) cut in when full beam is on? Be nice to be able to see what is directly in front of the car lol.

Jay

You wont need fogs and dipped on to see when you uprate your loom, as full beam will be twice as bright nearly!