Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

body work - dealer - sounds a bit cheap!!....

A mate reversed into my C and scraped the bumper at the weekend, so he is getting it sorted via the insurance...

Anyway - I went in to the local dealers to get a repair quote and was told £150!

I was impressed - he did said that he would be respraying the bumper!

Am I being silly - does this sound quite cheap (esp for VW) - not complaining?

sounds very cheap for a proper blow-over................unless its one of these "invisible" repair type things tho...then its a bit steep

it doesn't sound cheap...but it does for a vw dealer.

The place that does any painting ive had done charge £80 a pannel if that helps.

EDIT-- thats not for a repair aswell though... :D

yeah, like i said, that doesn't include any repairs, and that's cettainly not what my local VW dealers would charge..

and also..im in Cardiff...I would expect it to be a bit more expensive in London???

my local spray shops all charge around £100 per panel for respraying... Add in a little for removing and repairing that, and £150's not a bad price... 8)

Hi Rodders!

nope - he said he would be spraying the bumper

(not the best pic - as you can see, the car is pretty filthy!!)

Hi back Nick :D ,

yeah these invisible repair ppl would also spray it (using low-pressure airbrushes IIRC) but from what i hear the paint they use aint the best for longetivity

just watch out for the dealer using them instead of a proper bodyshop if you know what i mean :wink:

yeah - I will check that thet aren't doing an invisible repair job on it!

They have their own bodyshop at the dealership (odd in itself, I think) and they had some top cars in there, Aston Martins etc!

id insist the bumper is removed from the car..much better results that way

i used to work at a dealer...tbh people wont pay much more than 150 to paint a bumper

I had my bonnet, front grills, both wings, front and rear bumper sprayed about 2 months ago for £750.

The bonnet and front grill had usual stone chips the front bumper had a slight creases. (Similar to the photo shows on yours) The rear bumper I had foolishly hit a low down post and this had creased and also a slight bump.

All the damage was repaired and i have had an excellent job done and am very pleased with the result.

In view of this your price sounds about right.

Although I can't believe this work can all be done at this rate. It will take several hours of preparation before paint and paint costs and then baking. I would have thought if the bumper was to be removed this would add to the price - just in view of the additional labour time.

All i can suggest is you ensure they know of the quality of workmanship you are expecting, then if it is not to your standard, you return it until this is achieved.

Hope this helps and Good luck

thanks for getting back to me everyone.

I have my doubts about how good a job they will do for the cash, too to be honest!

What do people know about getting the job done by scuff repair companies?

Should I think about going down this route - do people think this spray job would be a better idea?

I've just had a quote to repair a toe bar dent in my bumper after one of my girlfriends work mates reversed into it.

£20 paint/ £60 labour +vat about £94 total. Thats to remove the bumper warm up the dent and push it back out and repaint the whole bumper. And these are not the cheapest in town.

I'd go to a reputable body shop and get another quote with a brake down on it.

the dealer has now decided that they can't do it for £150 - the price is now £210

Not sure I am happy with this lot to be honest.

Anyway - I think I won;t bother going to the Stealers - does anyone know of any really good bodyshops in the NE London / Essex area?