Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Biggerbigneil's new machine!

Will post a couple pics when I pick it up

MK3 Golf 1.8 Driver with 90k on the clock, full GTI interior, 5 door, dark grey/purple? quite nice standard wheels, 10 months Tax and 12 Months MOT (now) for £850!

How good is that! The Girl Friend is taking it off me in March when I get my Z4 (maybe I can get a CAY plate for that lol) so I want to get the car in good order for her.

It has bilstein's all round with Ventura springs - is this good? I've never heard of Ventura.

It needs a new rear Gearbox/engine mount - could I do this and what do I need?

One of the sunroof slides has jammed - can I just replace one of the slides by taking the ceiling panel off and dropping the relevant parts?

Thanks

Neil

ventura springs come as part of a 'lowering kit' from euro car parts, had them on my valver. TBH they were pants but I think thats down to the fact that the euro car parts kit has standard length bilstein dampers which cant cope with the shorter springs and the ride ends up being very bouncy.

-edit-

cheap mk3 though! well played!

Sounds like a bargain there! I had the Bilstein lowering kit (with Ventura springs) on my Mk2 GTI and I thought it was pretty good. Only cost me about £180 and the ride compromise was just right for that car.

I'm glad I seem to have got myself a good deal!

Well I'm sure the bilstein's are good so if the ride sucks I can change the springs, as long as people have heard of Ventura and they do exist than thats all good for the moment.

Z4 = girls car - for £120 off my pay check per month including tax and servicing, I'm not complaining! Have you seen the new Z4 Coupe?! I think it looks like what a new Corrado should look like from the back and sides! They might be throwing a V8 in it also! But yes in my Z4 I will look like I'm CAY, I will get it in Black with some nice alloys though.

I have no idea how to do the sunroof as VW only want to sell the complete unit, GSF or someone must sell the sliders on there own?

Ben - Apparently the drive shaft gators were okay and passed the MOT, the engine/gear box mount does need replacing though, which I'll need to do - any tips?

I'm glad I seem to have got myself a good deal!

Well I'm sure the bilstein's are good so if the ride sucks I can change the springs, as long as people have heard of Ventura and they do exist than thats all good for the moment.

Z4 = girls car - for £120 off my pay check per month including tax and servicing, I'm not complaining! Have you seen the new Z4 Coupe?! I think it looks like what a new Corrado should look like from the back and sides! They might be throwing a V8 in it also! But yes in my Z4 I will look like I'm CAY, I will get it in Black with some nice alloys though.

I have no idea how to do the sunroof as VW only want to sell the complete unit, GSF or someone must sell the sliders on there own?

Ben - Apparently the drive shaft gators were okay and passed the MOT, the engine/gear box mount does need replacing though, which I'll need to do - any tips?

Z4 = is still a girls car..

I sold a complete mk3 driver sunroof on fleebay a while back for about 50 quid so just keep your eyes out over the winter months for a complete unit. You won't need to use it over winter anyway!

Rear gearbox mount isn't hard to replace. need to jack the engine up a bit and perhaps drop the subframe on its bolts then it will go in. Otherwise pay hugo to do it!

B

We should make a Biggerbig's members gallery on VW's

Hugo - Mk2 1.3, Mk2 Driver, MK2 GTI, MK1 GTI, Scirroco GTII

Me - MK3 1.8GL, Corrado VR6, MK3 1.8 Driver

You - MK3 1.9tdi, MK1 GTI, Corrado, MK4 TDI

Thats not a bad list of VW's for three people in 4 years!