Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Head unit wiring help

Not my strong point this (what is :oops: ) so any help would be great cheers.

Fitting a new head unit with built in screen/dvd:

1. Do i definately need to run a wire to the battery from the yellow head unit one (amp being 75w x4)?? If so wheres the best place to poke a gromit through without ripping up the carpet too much!

2. Theres a wire thats surposed to connect to a "parking brake" to stop you watching the screen while driving, or you must be in reverse. Do i just connect this to a positive to fool it, or leave it unconnected?

3. How in the world of all thats holy do i get all the wires to fit behind the head unit!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: I think i can do it if the glove box comes apart (does it?).

Cheers guys

Nick

1. Yes - 300W is far in excess of what the standard loom is rated at. There's a gromet easily accessible in the passenger footwell. You'll see the gromet on the firewall in the engine bay.

2. I'm not 100% sure on this but it sounds like it needs a live feed to fool it. If it were me I think I'd try it earthed first....or take a closer look at the instructions.

3. If you remove the passenger side dash undertray you can guide the stereo loom out of the way while pushing the head unit into the dash slot.

BC, many thanks mate thats a big help. Do i need to pull the carpet/sound deadning down to get to the gromit? actually im just being lazy ill go and look tommorrow in day light.

ewww

ONE

Nick

The park wire i think has to be earthed, i'm almost certain if i remember from when i had the screen in my c.

you should have a wiring diagran with the unit

this will be able to tell ya

chris

Nice one buddy. I put it to live and no joy, also tried it disconected and nothing so i think your gonna be right bud!

Can i just tie it in to the black earth wire for the whole unit or do i need a seperate car body earth for it ??

Nice one guys, one happy camper. Head unit rocks!

Got slight hiss from speakers when i turn the headlights on though, wierd!