Sign in to follow this  
Dougalo

Blower Problems

Hi,

My 16v had the usual problem with the blower where only setting 4 works. So i invested in a soldering iron and soldered a thermal fuse onto the resistor pack (as per instructions on the internet). Put it all back together, put the keys in the ignition without starting the car and tested - all ok. Job done! (or so i thought!)............

....I started the car for the first time tonight since sorting this and there was a pop from the fuse box - no blowers at all! What has happened? I followed the instructions for replacing the thermal fuse perfectly i.e. i cleaned out all the crap from inside the fan blower and used the correct 184-degree C breaking point fuse.

Any ideas?

This "thermal" fuse is very easily damaged by the heat from a soldering iron.

Is the thermal fuse still intact ? Or could there be another problem with the resistor pack ?

Well to be honest its the first time i've ever soldered anything, but saying that i thought i did a pretty good job. I was delicate so as not to damage anything and i made sure that it was properly soldered into place before i put it all back together.

The pop came from the actual fuse box and not the blower.

correct 184-degree C breaking point fuse

Its a thermal fuse. Therefore it reacts to heat! Should not be soldered but crimped tightly only.

No other electrics on this circuit fuse. Straight wire from fuse to fan swtich then onto the resistor pack.

Take the fan unit out and check it still spins freely? Maybe in cleaning ut something has now jammed. As Steve says, thermal fuse may have gone cos it's been weakened by you soldering it.

With 5 way plug off the fan unit. See if 12 volts is on all 4 coloured wires relative the brown wire when the fan switch is moved 1 thro 4. That confirms the switched volts are OK or not. If not, investigate the wires back across the dash to the swtich and then the single black /red stripe wire back to the fuse box.

I put a new fuse in the fusebox and it all seems to be working fine now. Strange. Any ideas why this fuse would blow the first time it was used after replacing the thermal fuse, but now seems to be ok??

Fuses can tire. It may be that the current draw just topped it good & true. If it blows soon, then look at the fan bearing again. Hope not :)

Oh, and forgot to mention. Got my thermal fuse from here:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch ... F01030&N=0

I couldn't log onto the Maplin site and I use this company quite frequently.

I have 4 left, so if you want one drop me an email, £2 each.

(To cover my costs as CPC charge £5.99 +VAT for small orders)

Steve: mailto:[email protected]