Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

vr6 relay positions

just been and got a new fuel pump relay and plugged it in, not been for a drive yet but the car now fires one the first or second turn of the engine, brilliant, looks like the 'hicups' were down to the relay as suspected... however I noticed in the first few seconds of the engine running the two relays in positions 10 and 11 sometimes click 4 or 5 times, other times not at all. what are those two for? should they click like that or do I need new ones of those too? in fact, if anyone knows what each position is for i wouldnt mind knowing!

According the the Bentley manual, relay 10 is for the fog lights and relay 11 is for the horn. Relay 12 is apparently for the fuel pump so if this is the one you changed then maybe this information is correct for UK spec cars.

I don't think they should be repeatdly switching as you have explained.

yeah 12's the one I changed, same part number as the old one but with a 'C' at the end.

could faulty relays in 10 and 11 cause problems in areas other than the fogs/horn?

Well I wouldn't have thought so, it might be worth removing both 10 and 11 in turn and try to operate the fogs and horn (they shouldn't work with the relay removed) just to check that's what they switch, .

It sounds like you may have a wiring or switch problem somewhere. The relays should only operate when switched by the fog light switch or horn button. Have you had any electrical work done on the car recently?

well i suspected the fuel pump relay was at fault, which seems to have been the case considering how the car now starts, just wondered if the other relays possibly being at fault could 'infect' other things! I'll see how it drives and check those other relays out... ta mr.ots!

When it comes to electrics the c is a very strange beast. I'm sure you will get some more advice from other forum members. RW1 or Kevhaywire may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi Chris,

As above:

Relay 10 Fogs only, nothing else hanging on that circuit.

Relay 11 Horn only, nothing else.

No common power rails, 10 is on battery “30” and 11 is on ignition “15”.

Both use the common rail earth inside the fuse/relay panel for earth side of control circuit so if there was a main problem with the panel, all the relays would be chattering.

Relay 12 has no impact on 10 or 11.

191 906 383C is just a later ECU fuel pump relay standard for all Corrados currently. Previous suffix’s superseded.

The only difference in these relays (identical relay parts) is that they are switched differently. The horn relay 11 is permanent connected to power and earthed by the horn pad when the horns are needed.

Where as the headlight switch applies 12 volts to relay 10 so that fog lights can be powered when sidelights only or sidelights and headlights are on. The earth side of the relay is permanently connected to earth.

Therefore I would suspect that relay 10 is chattering given the reliability of the headlight switch in the Corrado. Your’s isn’t shot is it??? If so, the “off” position it could be supplying 12 volts to the fog relay 10 due to the engine rough vibration as it gets started. Nothing would be apparent at the fog lights cos the fog switches isolates the supply to the lamps after the relay but before the lights.

Pull each relay 10 & 11 in turn and see if it’s both or one and the other can be felt. Always difficult to know which is switching on as the one next to it can feel as though it has switched.

If relay 11 was chattering, I’d expect to you’d hear the horn whimper.

Cheers

Chris

Come back if not this but you are down to wires and/or any mods you've done in these two circuits.

:wink: