Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

Has someone done something to my alignment?

Hi All,

I have recently had my front two tyres replaced and a both outer CV boots.

The two tyres that came off were wore down to the renewal lines and in particular were worn on the insides - due to the fact that I go around roundabouts at a very fun pace.

I have previously had my alignment and tracking done twice, so it was spot on.

The steering currently feels a bit weird. Could be due to the tyres.

However, this is the thing I do not get;

Prior to the two tyres being fitted, and the latter of the two CV boots (the first was done a few weeks ago), when going straight, the horizontal bar on my steering wheel was lower on the right than the left, i.e. to go straight i was in theory going right. However, now when going straight, the horizontal is lower on the left than the right, i.e., to go straight i am in theory steering a bit left.

I do not think this happened when i got my first CV boot done, so it must have been either during the tyre changing or more likely when i got the second CV boot done. During this time (which was MOT work) the garage also welded some of my front subframe, but i dont think they took it off. I could be wrong.

How would this scenario have come about regarding my steering wheel.

Am i gonna have to fork out another 50 notes to get my alignment & camber done. The rears should not have changed though so will it be less than for all 4 wheels?

Any help appreciated.

DF.

Most places will check it for free anyway, and if its out, then yea you gonna have to pay 50 notes to get it done...doubt the camber will need doing too tho, so you'll prolly get it done for 20 notes, just depends what they took off to get the driveshaft out, easiest way is undo the 3 bolts in the wishbone balljoint, which have slotted holes so would affect the alignment if not put back in the same place.

If the camber is out, I'd take it back to the garage that did the cv boots, cuz there is no reason to undo the camber adjusting bolts!

Couple of things.

Anything disturbed/disconnected at the front end, eg subframe, lower ball joint, strut/hub bolts can affect your camber and tracking as things never go back exactly where they were before.

Did they reset the tracking when the boots were done? They should have held the s'wheel central when adjusting, so could also be that if they didn't centre it.

HTH