Sign in to follow this  
matthewb1985

think its the starter motor

car wouldnt start on sunday after being fine on saturday night. think its starter? just wondered if there is anything else i should check before i spend £110?

cheers

What were the symptoms, sounds in particular?

If you heard some sort of slipping sound, then yes, I'd guess it's the starter.

I replaced mine a year ago (after having tried 2 units from the scrap yard, both going within 3 months - not worth the hassle, as it's too fiddly to swap starter motors all the time :lol:) with one from GSF, which cost me around the £70 mark (had to hand over the old one).

Tempest

does it sound like its grinding. mine did that the colder it got the worse it got i got a new one from gsf easy to cahnge on a 16v what is yours

mines a 2.0 16v im sure its that its doin my head in now need to drive it. it did it a month ago it took ages to start but then it was fine. oh well looks like £110 on a starter then

Are you sure the battery is ok?

the clicking does sound like starter motor to me BUT the loss of clocks etc makes me think of a battery issue.

Have you tried a different known good battery?

This time of year is guaranteed to find weakness in the battery as we are all running round with lights, heated windows etc etc more often now than earlier in the year.

Probably is the starter but it's gotta be worth a check before you shell out the big bucks on a new motor

Mine went a couple of years ago. The solenoid was still clicking, but the starter motor itself wasn't turning. The massive copper wire that hooks the solenoid to the motor was rotted through. It was like -2 when I tried to start it and it literally disintegrated when I tried to dump 140 amps through it ...

Plenty of juice in the battery.

But in your case, if the dash has been reset it sounds more like your battery is fooked mate.

Would have to agree with the previous posts, now that you have mentioned the dash clocks etc. turning off whilst cranking, would indicate a weak battery to me.

Check your alternator, too, whether when the car's running you get in the region of 13-14 V at the battery, and this should change slightly when revving the engine.

Tempest

I did have those symptoms once could hear the solenoid click but no starter. turned out to be dead cell in battery wouldn't start even with a jump cause the cell was causing it to short or something.

Could also be an immobiliser playing up if its between the solenoid and the starter circuit but thats just a stab in the dark really. if you think it may be an old immobiliser try hotwiring it to the negative to see if the starter starts.

I think you should def check the battery first though. borrow a mates or something to try it.

good luck.

cheers i will do tried to jump it on sunday but it didnt do a thing. there is an immobiliser but it didnt come with the key so have never used it. il try batt tomorrow