G60rob

Mirror motor

Each door mirror goes down and inwards easily but struggles to move up and outwards. I've had the glass off and tried lubricating everything, but no improvement. I'm told they have a magnetic clutch, so maybe that's slipping?

Is this a known problem with these motors? Or could it be a wiring fault?

They are available (357 959 577A, £46.41 +VAT per motor, though the stealers like to pretend you have to buy a complete mirror assembly) but installing them in the midst of the plastic cogs and arms looks tricky. S/H mirrors and a simple swap of the whole motor unit would be easier, if I can find any that aren't in the same state.

the mirror motors on mine have alwys been noisy, is this just based upon design or is there anything that can be done about it, ie lube in the right places? I just oiled the top rack and pinion but the noise appears to be from the clutch mechanism in teh middle. A bit loathe to oil that just in case it needs to be dry to work. Any suggestions?

they're just noisy.

I've had them in bits, a little fiddly, but do-able, I eventually discovered it was a dirty tempermental mirror switch and not one of the motors at all :)

ok thanks for that David. Best to just leave alone then. On another note, i cleaned up the spades and now they demist again!

Hi guys, I have a problem with my drivers wing mirror. It makes the noise as if the motor is working fine just the mirror won't move. How easy is it to strip the mirror down to take a look? Any tips / pointers would be appreciated.