Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

removal of instrument cluster

I was in my car yesterday for about three hours, fitting an "easy plug out - plug in mod, done in 30 minutes maximum"- red led kit for my instrument cluster. Not that it was that hard, but a variety of stuff happened which kinda took time.

Well anyways, when I had removed the surround, the glass / trim thingie beneath and the screws to the full cluster-box. Then I looked behind, took out the electric multiplug and what I think is the rev-meter signal (on the left side seen from behind, just about right behind the rpm meter). Then only one thing remained, which I never got off (or wasn't sure I should remove it, it was pretty much stuck), was a vacuum hose attached to this gray circle w/ a vacuum connector. What is this?

I spent probably one and a half hour trying to fiddle the new led lights in (they fit from the backside instead of the factory stuff, that is solely on the front, giving it an easier and better connection). Why wouldn't they just make them like the original bulb holders? Much better design! And better yet? Why not just retain the original lights, but change the green filter into a red one or whatever color your prefer? Would give the same effect, it would be cheaper, easier to design and easier to produce.

Anyways, I now ended up taping everything nicely together, getting everything back in again (THAT was a hassle), and finding out the left-most LED doesn't work anymore. CRAP :p

Oh, and I never got around to change the digital screen light, cuz I never got the whole cluster out of there. What more do I have to remove? And how?

look just above the top left and right corners of the cluster and you should see a screw either side, undo those and the clock unit will hinge forwards from the bottom. you can then lift it up and forwards to get it out of the dash.

dont forget to put your steering wheel at its lowest to improve access

the vacuum hose isnt on the vr6 but i can only guess its for the mpg on the mfa

there are only 8 screws to take the dash out on the later dash not too sure about the early one

two screws are at the bottom of the black cowl but you need to take the small plastic corners out to see the screws, then there are two in the top of the cowl , remove this and you'll see four screws holding the dash in , undo these lift forward, unplug and lift it out