Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

A Do Up Or Already Done VR6?

Which would make more sense?

Great mechanicals, not so good body.

Or

Great body, not so good mechanicals.

Sorry about the tons of ques! Always try to make sure I do my homework before getting a car, especially one like this.

Is is worth paying for an AA/RAC inspection?

Gonna stick my oar in on this one cos its something i really pondered about before buying the Vr and i kinda think i was a little unlucky and got the worst case scenario. But its certainly given me a few opinions.

For a bit of background

I got my Vr for a sensible price back a year or so ago when they were fetching good money. looked at a lot of 90k milers in the £5-6k bracket that i just didn't feel were worth their asking price and after looking for about 6 months bought mine off a mature chap on the first day he advertised it. having a 16v at the time and using this site i knew what too look for and after looking around it, driving it, looking at the history etc it had just been looked after well. Anyway did 15k miles no worries used a bit of oil but nothing to worry (Its a vr) about and had a slight hint of chain noise (104k when i bought it) but that didn't bother me because id got that reflected in the price.

Then it quickly went downhill started using more oil blowing loads of smoke on overun, some on acceleration and it was oiling up plugs 1 & 6 causing misfiring after only a few hundred miles. On inspection there was scoring on bores 1 & 6 and a full engine rebuild ensued. I could have had just the head rebuilt which would have probably reduced the oil consumption significantly but i knew i would not be happy knowing i'd got buggered bores..ooerr!!

Personally looking back i'd wait and try and pick up a car thats known on the site that has has had the necessary engine work done to it and its been carried out by a reputable garage that we all trust (in most cases not VW). Someone like Stealth if possible. It'll cost you a bit more than you may get it from autotrader but theres a good reason for that and thats because we care about things like "engines n stuff". A low mileage (which in most cases now is probably around 80k anyway isn't really that low considering what "can" go wrong with the bloody things. low mileage can mean its spent its whole life doing short trips anyway which isn't ideal. If you can get a car thats had the chains and head done at least there should be some evidence to show you know what you are buying as there may be evidence of leakage tests or just evidence to show a visual report on the state of the bores.

Im in the same situation as Rpmayne where by including buying the car, sorting suspension, exhaust and unfortunatley a full engine rebuild ive spent around 8K and it looks pretty much the same as it did the day i picked it up. I certainly won't be recouperating much of that back if i ever had to sell it.

F**kin love it tho.

right after that mammoth post its home time...wehey its the weekend!

Maybe. I'd say he's probably given you the best advice by saying get one off the forum. You may pay more but it's worth it.

I very much doubt AA/RAC check your bore wear and timing chains. Buying off the forum is a good idea (often you can see a lot of the cars history from the members gallery) and I don't think you will pay much more at all. :D