Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

Sourcing / Replacing Steering Rack - advice please....

Hi all, been off here for a while due to getting in to air-cooled Veedubs a lot recenty, ('72 Bay ), but still have and love my C.

But...last night my steering rack went big time, losing all the fluid. I think I may have bought a second hand spare a couple of years ago, but need to wade through all my mountains of VW junk to see if I have it or not.

If I haven't got an old one, anyone know a decent place to get a new rack from for reasonable money? GSF say they don't do them for the 16v Corrado. Will a Golf one fit? Anyone dgood sources out there...

ta muchly in advance. :)

Yes. Mk2 Golf uses the same parts, iirc.

cheers chap, is what I suspect, might risk trying a GSF Golf unit.......

i got one for my 16v last week for about £130 for euro car parts, it was a reconditioned genuine one. watch out for the £100 surcharge tho!

i got one for my 16v last week for about £130 for euro car parts, it was a reconditioned genuine one. watch out for the £100 surcharge tho!

Youch!

There are 2 types of rack in the 16vs, one has 22 splines on the input shaft and the other has 36. Golf one could be either as well depending on whether it's for an 8 or 16v afaik.

But if you get the wrong type you should be able to source the lower part of the steering column from a golf with the correct number of splines on it.

Since it's a surcharge, you get it BACK when you take your old part in ..

Yeh but it's getting the old one out that's the tricky bit, it's a right bar steward

Remove the sub-frame, it really is the easiest way though you do need to support the engine (I have a cross beam). The rack bolts are splined close to the head and are nearly impossible to remove from the sub-frame without knocking them through from on top, which of course cannot be done in situ otherwise removal would be simplicity itself.

Be real careful when reconnecting the PAS pipes to the rack - in fact my recent experience cross threading one say disconnect both the pipes from the pump and reservoir and assemble to the rack on the work-bench. Don't forget new sealing rings (part number is at home) they only cost pennys, new bolts and rubber mounting bush.

I was going to post a KB article after mine but that's in re-build at the mo.

Yeh, that's the exact way i did it (still not finished it tho!) i've just got to connect the rack to the column and sort out the engine/gearbox brearer, it's been too freking cold to do much. lol

Finally finished putting mine in just now - what a mission. Next stop MOT station

Cool, does that mean youl'l be free to slot mine in then? Too cold for me to do it! :)