Sign in to follow this  
bighairymuppet

no spark 1.8 16v when starting/probs starti ... help plz

I'd forgotten about this thread!

How daft do I feel? I tested the entire ignition system before I actually bothered to check for a spark...and there was a very strong one. I don't even know why I even assumes it would be an ignition problem to be honest.

Anyway, it appears that the fuel pump has all but packed in. There's fuel being pumped to the metering head but there's not enough pressure to get it from there to the injectors - and certainly not enough to open the injectors.

The fuel pump had been making a load of racket for just over a year but I've become very good at ignoring it. I changed the fuel filter today on the off-chance that it would help but I think it's been left too long and finally killed the pump. Ho hum.

I'm pretty sure I've got a spare in the shed somewhere but if not I'll have to buy a new one. I's my own stupid fault for killing the old one for the sake of a £6 fuel filter.

Has anyone solved this yet?

It took me 20 minutes to start my 1.8 16v this morning. Put it down to being Friday the 13th, but after reading this thread I reckon I'm having the same problems as you guys.

Fingers crossed it starts at 5pm - I'll be gutted if I get stuck at work!!

Any updates on this... sounds very similar to mine.

Spoke to a garage and they said it's doubtful to be the fuel pump.... but then again these are the same people who fitted a PAS belt that was too long so maybe not the best source of info ;)

How much is a new fuel pump out of interest :?:

Any updates on this... sounds very similar to mine.

Spoke to a garage and they said it's doubtful to be the fuel pump.... but then again these are the same people who fitted a PAS belt that was too long so maybe not the best source of info ;)

How much is a new fuel pump out of interest :?:

I've got a few good pumps from late Mk2 8v GTIs. If you can gt the part number from yours, and if they're the same, I'll send you one for free. Even if you don't need one in the end it's always good to have a spare!

Hello Guys,

Saw this thread whilst searching and it sound like the same problem im having with mine currently. All the ign comps have been changed along with new fuel pump and filter. Still exactly the same problem. The car is turning over and will finally start after some kicking and screaming.

This morning though it wouldnt start so im gonna give it a good kicking tonight and see if that works.

Hey guys,

Have a similar problem with the car, I chased the spark and it turns out to be the fueling. I will probably need a new metering head as the guy i got to look at the car while I was away said it's knackered. Just wondering out of curiosity, does anybody know how much the metering head and fuel pump would be from vw??

Cheers,

Ciaran