Sign in to follow this  
aposegil

DVLA are a bunch of *******

Well as some of you guys may know about 6 months ago we reshelled my brother G40 (as thanx to previous owner had been in a accident and never repaired it and sold it to my brother without telling us) and taking in advise form DVLA we did it all by the rule book etc

From square one we were told that because the only thing that will be changes from orignal car is the shell the car would retain its identity.

So we went out bought a mint!!!!! grey polo so its the same colour etc and started the swope

We did everything brake lines etc and got it MOT'ed and tested and the car flew past everything (one guy said he never seen a car so well put together he was that impressed)

anyhow all that remained was the paper work to sort out. This morning a DVLA guy turned up to do final inspection (i.e to check out the old shell that it was damaged etc)

He was happy that we followed all the rules etc and we were honest with the paper work so at this point we were all happy and then he says

"but becuase the shell wasnt brand new from VW the car has to be a Q plate"

we were like WTF how is that possible?? we were told about all the point system etc and followed it to the dot and he agreed with us it should retain the orignal number plate but rules are rules

and to top it off he turns rounds and says u should have cut the old number of the old shell and swoped it and just scraped the normal polo

my and my brother face just droped!!!!!

a DLVA guy advise us to do that to beat the system but when it comes to do it by the rule book then bend us over and shaft us

oh well now my brother kind of had enough so thinking of selling it so do you guys recon being a Q plate is going to affect its value alot considering its mint right now and safe ???

Personally if the car is that good why not just keep it? you know all it's history and everything is sorted now, if you do sell it you might end up buying another that bites you in the arse. I'd keep and enjoy it for what it is, a fast mint little Vee dub! 8)

i dont know my brother doesnt like the sound of Q plate

trust me the car is amazing :o its flipping quick aswell my brother took me for a blast friday evening easily alot quicker than my corrado now as a G60

and off course because weve put everything new on and its got bigger brakes and m/c upfront and H&R coilovers it stops and handle how it sahould have done out of factory

trust me the guy was impressed with the quality off all the work and how nice and clean everything is def a nice show looking car but now its got a Q plate :(

i dont know if were more pissed at being told inaccurate information or him telling us to ring are car isntead of telling DVLA

a 'Q' plate could effect the resale if you're selling to joe public, but since its the sort of car an enthusiast would be likely to buy I dont think it'll cause too many problems. If they're in the know about g40's and can see you've done a good job then you shouldnt have a problem.

on a side note, can you put private plates on a 'Q' plater?

we already looked into it and nope cant get a private plate

i feel for my brother he is a uni student so not rich and always dreams about having a G40 (and believe it or not nothing to do with me he fell in love with them as when he used to do a paper round as a kid he used to deliver to a local guy that had a mint G40 in grey parked up in his garage which my brother got talking to

so he goes out buys this as we knew needs some work few dings on the door and good servicing only to find that it had complete cracked front chassis leg and just been covered with waxol by the last owner who was meant to be a enthusiast

and now this

its like a double kick in the nuts lol

well, at the end of the day he still has a mint g40 which he knows is sound since he built it and will have alot of fun driving it, I'd say dont stress over the 'Q' plate, dont let it ruin the hours of graft you've put in to building the car and the pleasure you'll (or rather he'll) get from owning it.

"but becuase the shell wasnt brand new from VW the car has to be a Q plate"

There was some debate on ClubGTI a few years back about how the Rallye that Volks-Speed built could retain the original plate. People were saying that in effect it was a "ringer".

I did some research on the DVLA site and it stated that it could retain the registration if the shell was brand new ie unregistered (which this was as it was bought from VW Racing).

What's the reason the plate from car that was used for the shell cannot be used?

I wouldnt buy a Q plate car.

I am afraid I believe it will definately affect its value.

q plate motors seem to stand out a mile

What's the reason the plate from car that was used for the shell cannot be used?

it can not be used now because weve filled in all the paper work

we asked if we could use the normal polo shell plate but he just said no sorry u cant

also see what i mean coxy put it in simple words people just look at a Q plate and just get the most negative feeling about it.