Sign in to follow this  
2 door fun

Stuck hood and Coolent light on

Hi all. First a big hello to all of you as I'm new here. Been reading posts for the last few weeks.

Anyway and helpers out there.

I have the car I always wanted My 91 G60. She has been slack of TLC I will be putting that wright. since having her I have replaced the oil pump and much other stuff. Prudent I thought for a car with 150 on the clock. I also head a coolent leak. I had the head skimmed and all the headset replaced at a local VW geezers place. After the work was done I had a fuel leak at the injector rail looked like the return hose. That needs replacing. In the US there was a re-call on this a problem with the rail hose barb being to small in diameter any such re-call over here? Now what ever the status of the re-call I need to fix this fuel leak. My bonnet is stuck. A snapped cable, mechanisam for release moved under near-side arch..If I pull on the cable with pliers pass side pops so does the hook the drivers side is well in place...? I have read many posts on this subject...Any new ideas. Also to top things my coolent light popped on this morning. Only 2 weeks after having the head done.

Oh and I have read posts on coolent loss and where is the coolent going...Well the guy at the shop dropped some dye into the expansion chamber. The water turned yellow this means Carbon Monoxide is present. My coolent was going straight down the exhaust!! When he said this I knew. After turning the car off I could here a kettle noise from down below! There were no exterior signs of any leak. Only giveaway was when she got bad she was starting on 3 pots as No1 was washed with water.

Anyway thats my hello.

My idea would be to take it back/get it trailered to the "geezers" who seem to be anything but that. Get them to repair it properly this time, or maybe say you will let your VW owning friends/other potential customers know what a shoddy job they seem to have done.

Good luck.

Like previous posts have said, you can reach the drivers side latch from underneath the car with a screwdriver or similar, but it is extremely fiddly, especially as with the bonnet stuck you can't really see what the latch looks like.

Get under the car and get your arm up as far as you can between the engine and radiator, have a good feel and try to follow the release cable to the latch it should be pulling on. Then get a screwdriver and try to get it in the right place to pry the latch open until the bonnet pops.

It took me about 15 mins of messing about before I cracked it. I then tied some thick cord between the pass and drivers side latches as a temporary bodge so you could just reach up and yank on that.

Chris

Hi folks.

I got the hood open. I looked up and found the spings that hold the bonett pins in place. A long driver is needed. As for the car. I was well knarcked I'm very handy with engines been doing it for years. They had rushed the final stage of the job. ie refitting pipes. No jubilee clips tightened up just pushed on. I trimmed the pipe ends and re-did the lot. Found my new reason for water light poping back on. More kinked pipes so the water was not finding its way back to the res. He knew who I was a friend knows him and had said this guy knows engines. So they must have known about the kinked pipes as soon as they put em on... Like a TV repeair man. Hoping the job will come back maybe.

Anyway cheers for the replys. VW want £30 for a new cable !!!!