Sign in to follow this  
MikeyP

Fuse 14 Woes!

Help me, please :( ! Fuse number 14 (does the windows when the door is closed, reverse lights and washer-jet heaters) keeps on blowing.

The most annoying thing is that I can't seem to trace the problem to anything. It blows pretty much every day... Sometimes i'll check it before I drive somewhere, and it's blown by the time I get there... Other times I'll check it just before I get out and lock up the car, and by the time I get back it's blown again!

I've tried not using the windows, disconnecting the reverse light switch and disconnecting the washer-jet heaters, but have had no luck. :cry:

Does anyone have any ideas? Is anything else on that same fuse?

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated! It's driving me crazy!

Cheers,

Mike

Which car model & year is it?

Other times I'll check it just before I get out and lock up the car, and by the time I get back it's blown again!

Strange as the fuse is powered by the ignition 12 volts not the battery. I take it this happens AFTER the ignition is switched off.

The fuse also supplies ignition 12 volts to the dash instrument cluster.

It's a 1993 (late interior) 16v 2.0 rhd.

And yeah, I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that sometimes it happens after the ignition is switched off.

Thanks for the info, RW1...

Another thing is that sometimes there is this constant clicking sound behind the dash just to the left of the steering wheel somewhere. It kinda sounds like 'Clip-Clop - pause - clip-clop, etc' :D . Could this be anything to do with it? This also happens both when the ignition is on and off.

Cheers,

Mike

Whereabouts it the reverse light switch you disconnected...

just wondering as i had this problem on a mk3 polo, never managed to fix it but all was ok after a gearbox change...

Whereabouts it the reverse light switch you disconnected...

I'm not sure if it was the best place to disconnect it, but it was under the bonnet towards the passenger side somewhere. It's hard to explain without being near the car, so unless someone else can explain properly, I'll try and take a pic tonight and circle it for you.

And I think I figured out the fuse problem! :D I reckon it must blow when I open the door while the ignition is on! I realised that the only thing I do every morning is open my door to check I've parked within the white lines! But now I've run out of spare fuses to check for certain, though.

So I'm gonna get some more fuses tonight, disconnect the courtesy light switch and see what happens. I really hope this is it because it's been doing my head in for months!

I feel like an idiot for not realising sooner! :oops:

Mike

Look at the wires in the door to door pillar rubber gaitor area for chaffing to the body. Is the gaiter fully "lipped home, if not, the door skin edged can cut into the wires. It may be that the 12 volt wire to the switch illumination has been damaged. Black / Blue stripe wire.

The switch for the rear lights that he disconected is on the top of the gearbox-basically just sends a signal when reverse has been selected.

Cheers Fraser