Sign in to follow this  
chrisw

Best engine speed for fuel efficiency/engine wear?

When in traffic I quite like cruising along at about idle speed in my vr, the beast just pulls itself along and you can give your throttle foot a nice stretch and rest (it needs it :D ). Is this a good idea? Both in terms of fuel efficiency and engine wear? Or is there a higher rpm you should try to keep the engine at?

Chris

As far fuel efficiency goes, the slower the engine's turning, the less fuel it's using.

With regards to engine wear, I don't see just pootling along just above idle being a problem as long as the engine's not juddering and coughing, similarly don't dump your foot on the accelerator when you're in 2nd just above idle - it'll put a huge amount of load on the engine.

As far fuel efficiency goes, the slower the engine's turning, the less fuel it's using.

Not neccessarily, depends on how efficient the engine is at turning over for each given rpm and the load on it.

What do you think would use more fuel? Driving up a steep hill at 10mph in 5th or 2nd? 5th would be lower revs but im betting 2nd would use less fuel.