Sign in to follow this  
matthewb1985

amp draining battery??

my car wouldnt start last week checked battery and it was dead so got a new one. the car now wont start again :( there is defo something draining it. could my amp be not turning off through the stereo and draining the battery. took it off today and the battery charger said "charging essential" any ideas??

check the amp draw with a multimeter,pull out each fuse and watch the multimeter to eliminate each circuit,disconnect amplifier ect and you will find out the cause.if all is ok disconnect the alternator lead to eliminate that aswell.

could my amp be not turning off through the stereo and draining the battery??

If you amp stays on, there should be a light that will tip you off, unlikely, unless something is very bad in the remote lead! (i.e. permanent 12v)

But it's possible your battery is dead and not holding charge, or the bushes have gone in the alternator and it simply isn't charging the battery.

My radiator fan has recently developed a mind of its own and will turn on and off randomly at any temperature. It'll drain the battery in three days if the car is unused. I've just disconnected it for now but I figure I'll have to fix it before next summer.

I found that problem in my T25 Van I put a switch on the RMT lead (the one that tells the amp to turn on and off) and mounted it on the dash. Did the job a treat. Helps if you are camping or just want to turn the amp off and still want music from the car.