Sign in to follow this  
Valerian

reverse light switch

Just noticed my reverse lights are not working.

Been staring at the top of the gearbox as i presume there is supposed to be a reverse light switch there somewhere.

Doesn't seem to be any wires connected to any part of the gearbox unless it's underneath.

on top of the gearbox selector mechanism is a black housing with a connector on it. This is held on by two bolts.

Undo and remove and you should see a switch inside the housing.

My problem was the mild steel cup bolted on top of the selector mechanism which then actuates the switch within the housing.

On mine the bolt had undone so the cup did not apply enough pressure to activate the switch

on top of the gearbox selector mechanism is a black housing with a connector on it. This is held on by two bolts.

Undo and remove and you should see a switch inside the housing.

My problem was the mild steel cup bolted on top of the selector mechanism which then actuates the switch within the housing.

On mine the bolt had undone so the cup did not apply enough pressure to activate the switch

Is this on the top of the gearbox or underneath?

on top of the bellhousing to the right and further towards the nose of the car than the flywheel inspection holes.

Not very clear but the black plastic housing pictured is what you're looking for

th_b5c_2003_0101Image0001.JPG

on top of the bellhousing to the right and further towards the nose of the car than the flywheel inspection holes.

Not very clear but the black plastic housing pictured is what you're looking for

th_b5c_2003_0101Image0001.JPG

I did look at that but couldn't see any wires coming from it.

will check again tomoz.

Just been out to look at the C during a break in the rain.

Found the reverse light switch although it looks like nothing i have ever seen before...lol

Connected the wires together that go to the switch and the lights work so it looks like the prob is the switch.

Unbolted the switch and there seems to be a lot of grease in there.

I notice that the cylinder part of the switch mechanism that is bolted to the linkage is held by one nut.....is this cylinder adjustable or is it fixed in one position i.e. slotted to the linkage?

Also does anyone have any idea how much a new switch costs from VAG.

new switch is about £25 from VAG... broke mine installing the gearbox into H-YYU :oops:

new switch is about £25 from VAG... broke mine installing the gearbox into H-YYU :oops:

Just phoned my local VAG dealer and the reverse light switch was quoted as around £8+VAT.

Also quoted me £17+VAT for an ignition switch.

ah, that's JUST the switch part... you may also need the big bit which it clips into which is the bit I also broke and makes it up to around £25... ;) :oops:

is it possible for the sleeve to be out of adjustment or rather bolted down incorrectly therefore not activating the switch when it should be?

I'd assume the sleeve only goes on one way mate?? Although i'm not a mechanic.. i only supply the bits.. i can find out tomorrow for you though... unless someone else knows??

Hmm ...if it's keyed to the linkage then i guess it can't move .....was going to unbolt it and have a look but the weather put a stop to that.

I've ordered a switch from the VAG stealers now anyways.

Anyone have a part # handy? Would like to know the price around here before fidling with it.

i've just recently adjusted my gear selector (gearbox end) and now the reverse lights dont come on. This is because the circuit is not being completed in the switch on the box. Is there any way to adjust this at all, or perhaps a better way to set up the gear selection without putting everything out of position?

i'd just like someone to check at which position of the gearstick the reverse lights actually come on - is it when you press teh gearstick down or when its at the fullest extent of travel?