Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Exhaust (and now backbox)..

Ok - in short, my exhaust sounds like crap. I really don't know all the technical terms for the various problems associated with exhausts, but it really sounds like its leaking and blowing a lot by the join from the downpipe(?) to the center section... I also think stuff is quite loose under there, as when the car is cold seems very noisy considering its basically an OE exhaust system.

The frustrating thing is, I only just had the centre section replaced at Stealth Racing about 5 months ago - and now it sounds terrible again. Should Stealth be reponsible for putting that right, or is it my problem to get fixed?

My exhaust system is definately past its best and I really need a quality sports system on there, but £400 is not a sum of cash I can easily lay my hands on right now... if I can somehow get under the car, should it be easy to identify the source of the blowing and rattling?

Thanks...

(Starting to become a seriously disillusioned Corrado owner over the past few days :()

Don't worry too much about it!

If you can jack it up & get underneath, start the engine up from cold & put your hand near the joints of the exhaust. If it it is blowing you will feel it on your hand. The joints may need tightening up a bit or a bit of exhaust putty to seal it up.

If you want to get a good quality sports exhaust, I can definately recommend Supersprint. They fit perfectly & sound very nice.....sporty but not too loud. If you don't want to pay for a full system, then do what I did & add the various sections a bit at a time, when you can afford it.

Check your heat shields if it noisy. The heat shield around the downpipe started to rattle on mine. It had rusted on the spot welds, so I just took it off with a pair of tin snips & some brute force!

Jon,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the advice. I think the system in general is knackered - the backbox is an OE part, the next bit from that is a new part recently fitted after the old one got REALLY noisy, and the next bit along from that is the last remaining part of a Bosal system that used to live on the car once.

It definately needs replacing - I had a quote from Stealth Racing for a Jetex system, fitted, with a lifetime warranty - that was £380.

Have to see - so many other bills & outgoings at the minute.

Cheers :)

I've got a cat-back Powerflow system on mine - lifetime waranty and £310 fitted! It also doesn't look or sound too lairy which is what I wanted anyway.

Cheap as chips :wink:

Cheers

Mark

2.0 16V

we can supply you with a cat back milltek system for £290.00 this has a lifetime warranty and is the best fitting corrado exhaust i have come across.....

regd's Darren pd-motorsport.co.uk

Crikey - you are a 150+ mile drive away!

Thanks for that excellent price but the money I'd save I would end up spending on petrol :)

I have a remus back box, don't know how much it was, got the car with it fitted. Sounds amazing, tho not to loud, looks super cool to.

http://www.remus.at/

Is it now poss to get rest of system stainless? How much would it be? Remus only make the back box!

i have a milltec zaust fitted to my 16v and its sweet, quiet, its a rear oval so looks standard. And if i remember correctly was 360 +vat fitted at AMD

When i priced up standard exhaust i wouldn't have got much change from £500. So all in all im very happy with it. Didnt notice any improvement in performance, but didnt really expect to as that plus good air filter will struggle to give you anymore than 3bhp anyway - fact (dont believe the hype)

I reckon my custom made with cat removed is a better fit than any exhaust available. I have fitted supersprint,magnex etc to various cars.

reckon id spend the extra 50 quid n get it custom made so that you just pick up your car and away you go.

noisy though. problem is it sounds like 400hp....

Gazza, is yours a Powerflow, ive heard the quality varies greatly depending on the fitter. If anyone else is going for a custom id try and get a look at a car that has already had an exaust fitted by the place before deciding if you want them to do it.

No mines would you believe it from a Subaru tuner Jap-innovations in Oldham. The owners are mates of mine. Their exhausts have gone down a treat with the subaru people. sound is awesome. Anyway the car was taken to the exhaust maker and was made for the car.I decided to have the cat removed as mine is a may 92. Sound is loud but great if you like that sort of thing.think removing the cat did the job. I have straight thru until the back where i have 2 boxes in the last bit under the fuel tank area as the std does. end is like the std one bout 90mm. think it is 2.5" pipe

Fit is perfect. does not touch or bang on any part of the car as some ive seen have like round the rear axle area.

I think it does a little for me in the power stakes, bit more responsive maybe. i know on the subarus they have been getting 30hp ish from a system turbo back. seems high but dyno proven i believe

Not fitting it myself was also a bonus.

Uh-oh... looks like I might be needing a new exhaust sooner than I thought. And damn.. I cant really afford to get it done right now!

I thought it was blowing a bit last night on the way home, but started the car this morning and jesus it sounds awful.. kinda booming from the backbox. Sounds terrible! And it knocks when I go over bumps...

Is it possible it has just come loose... I might see if the local tyre + exhaust place can just re-seal it this weekend or something.

Anybody know what the regs are regarding removing your cat (from the exhaust system before anyone starts :wink: ) mine is a April 92. Do i need a cat to pass the MOT???

You can guess my next question.

Where can I get one and how expensive are they?

Is it possible to get them fabricated? I had a previous decat pipe for my FTO fabricated from a local workshop. Could it be done on the C???

Supersprint do one for about £90. It's just a straight thru' expansion box. There are 2 different lengths I think. I got mine from C & R enterprises. They advise you to measure your existing cat before ordering.

Or you could get one fabricated if you want. But this would make the existing systen louder (if you didn't silence the decat pipe).

I got my de cat fabricated by RSR tyres and exhausts when I had the full system made I went for they're system as it was custom made to the spec I wanted, I think the custom decat pipe cost me £80+Vat, I really recomend powerflow exhausts they sound superb and the make the 6x4" oval tail piece as well so it looks factory fitted, just what I wanted really all in the exhaust system cost me £400 I think cant remember the exact price but it was around that!!

milltek systems are around that with decat pipe too these are the one's i would have as they are no louder than std just a bit deeper and alot better quailty/fit than ANYTHING else i have seen on corrados latley!!!

my 2p's worth anyway.....

p.s yes we do sell them but only cos we were so impressed with them to start with.

Looks like my backbox is buggered.. mate came down and it was only hanging on my a single rubber hanger, and the the backbox basically fell off in his hands.

Sooo .. new backbox for me then! Another f'ing bill!!

basically no car needs a cat. the MOT test is for emissions not a cat. it just get v difficult to pass without a cat after 1st aug 92

First used before 1/8/1975 - Visual test only. Failure for excess idle speed, dense blue or black smoke for 5 seconds at idle or during acceleration up to 2500rpm or half engine max speed whichever lowest.

First used between 1/8/75 and 31/7/86 - meter test CO

First used between 1/8/86 and 31/7/92 - meter test CO

First used between 1/8/92 and 31/7/94 - advanced emission test (CAT) if its running on petrol when presented, to the vehicle specific limits usually around CO

try bobmckay.co.uk

good site for mot stuff

Argh.. for a decent backbox (Supersprint) been quoted about £250 fitted by Stealth Racing.

*sob*

Is there any reason I should keep this frickin car :(

I posted this to the CCGB e-group earlier, but can't be bothered to retype it again, so this is what I posted. If you read what I said in the thread 'Exhausts...' earlier, you would see that my back box decided to fall apart today so :

Wow.. VW dealerships really are turning around.

After the shock price of £252 for a fitted backbox from Stealth

Racing earlier this afternoon, and the bad news from German Swedish

that a standard part was not available from them for later model

16v's, (dealper part only, sorry sir!) I phoned up VW as a last

resort.

Price? £131 inclusive of vat. Then, the icing on the cake - I

mentioned my CCGB membership and that they had said they would

arrange parts club discount last time I came in. The guy was more

than happy to offer me the exhaust at £116 inclusive of VAT.

So theres my membership paid for the year. Thanks CCGB and thanks

VW :)

Regards,

Jim