Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

this sounds expensive

i do hope its not though. over the last 2 days when i change from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. its feels like i have just gone down a pot hole, the whole car jerks?? i have new engine mounts on the car. and nothing appears to be loose, also it doesnt always happen only about 50% of the time, any ideas?? :(

Did you change the transmission mount also?? - I suspect that may have gone with the other mounts being replaced for newer stiffer ones...

Engine missing? And before any smart a*&^ says, I mean a missfire :) Mine had a habit of doing it every now and then. Ignition usually the culprit. Coil pack had a crack in it. Bit of J B weld seems to have done the trick.

You mean it only does it when you operate the clutch? Or it only does it when you come off the throttle? Or it does it when you get ON the throttle? More details please!

this only happens when im changing gear, all the rest of the time its fine, ive checked the clutch and its not slipping, really confused :(

But at what part of the "changing gear" sequence of events does it happen?

Changing gear is (not necessarily in order):

- off throttle

- dip clutch

- select new gear

- lift clutch

- back onto the throttle

There's five points here where you might get a jolt, and they could each be for different reasons..

sorry, this always seems to happen when i am lifting off the clutch after i have selected the next gear :(

If it feels snatchy when you let the clutch out it could well be the pressure plate.

No offence but are you sure you fitted the new mountings correctly?

Yeah, first things first, do the engine movement test with the brakes on and the bonnet open. Lift the clutch gently in gear and see how far it moves...

thanks so far with the help guys, midland vw did the mounts for me. and the engine hardly moves at all so its not that, a work mate said it could be a flat spot? how can you tell as it revs fine when parked up. :(

A flat spot ...?! when you're not pressing the throttle??

I'd concentrate on the clutch. It will have had to be removed to get to the timing chains, so as someone else said, that's probably where the issues are.

Did you put the crank sensor wheel back in tightly? It's possible (I believe) to get those in the wrong place or make them loose so that the ECU has trouble and shuts the engine down for a revolution or two ..