Sign in to follow this  
Heardy

Vr stalling and vagcom fault codes

Is the throttle moving with the engine stopped in the VAG-COM measuring blocks?

The intake temp & coolant temp have a common earth and derive their reference voltage directly from the ECU. As they work with the engine running, the earth side must be OK. As the engine runs OK, the battery & ignition supplies to the ECU (3 off ) must be there. Therefore it may be the ECU internally. Just check battery volts are at pin 54 on the ECU plug to eliminate that possibility (ie with no ignition switched on).

I've just checked and the throttle is moving in VAG-com so no probs there.

I'm still having problems with it stalling by the way..........

its 90% better since it had the basic settings done but it's still not right.

It does seem to be temperature related when it's cold it run's excellent and goes like a train but when it's warm it start's playing up also seem's hesitant when it's playing up.

I'm wondering if it's possible that there is an earth fault possibly in the wiring loom,becuse when i did the chains etc i put new tape on all of the loom could the temp sensor's be losing their earth's if so do you know which pin it is in the large multiplug where the looms join.

I've checked for voltage at pin 54 and that's fine.

What pin number's should the battery and ignition supplies be at so i can check those? As i've said it used to run great until i striped at all down so i'm think it's a fault i've created !!!!

Thank's again

Heardy, I had these exact same syptoms and it turned out to be the MAF. When cold and on choke it was ok, as soon as it came off choke it would randomly stall/hunt/idle too low etc.

VAG-COM won't flag it either and the car still appeared to have full power up the rev range too. Maybe an idea to check your's with another MAF to see if it fixes the issue.

Dutch

Heardy, I had these exact same syptoms and it turned out to be the MAF. When cold and on choke it was ok, as soon as it came off choke it would randomly stall/hunt/idle too low etc.

VAG-COM won't flag it either and the car still appeared to have full power up the rev range too. Maybe an idea to check your's with another MAF to see if it fixes the issue.

Dutch

Yeah sounds just like mine.I'll see if my mate will lend me his MAF and ISV just to rule them out.

By the sounds of it your ISV is OK, as when you disconnect it the rev's rise temporarily. If it was stuck you wouldn't notice a difference.

Dutch

Reason I asked about the throttle position sender reading is that it is a separate cicuit so I expected the battery volts to be OK. Therefore, there is most likely a wiring fault.

-------

The ignition 12 volts is direct on pin 38 of the ECU plug. The ECU relay switches ignition 12 volts onto pin 23 (the ECU needs to be connected for this one as relay is controlled by the ECU).

The "common earth" in the ECU loom which isn't directly earthed to the chassis but via pin 33 on the ECU plug, so if the ECU plug is disconnected, a continuity check to the following will check the loom's internal common earthy connection.

Knock Sensor 1 pin 2, blue wire to ECU pin 33

Knock Sensor 2 pin 2, brown/white wire to ECU pin 33

Coolant Sender (blue) pin 2 brown/green to ECU pin 33

Throttle Pos. Sender pin 1 brown/green wire to ECU pin 33

Inlet temp sensor pin 2 brown/green to ECU pin 33

UPDATE i borrowed a maf of a mate and it cured the stalling and running problems.

I cleaned my maf with some carb cleaner and it's not faulted at all so i think i've cracked it.Probably going to replace the maf anyway when i can find one at a good price.