Sign in to follow this  
Krazee

Motorsports-Style shifters

I have always loved the look of these motorsports-style shifters but have always had a couple questions sitting in the back of my head about them.

First off, is there any performance benefit to them? Sure they look great, but is shifting more direct/positive? maybe slightly less notchy? can they work on a daily driver?

And secondly, how do they mount? I just finished flipping through my PVW archives (some 100 issues) and it appears that the majority of people mount it on top of the transmission tunnel. This is fine, as I believe Stroeve sells a shorter shifter for their product. But then I come to JD Engineering's Corrado, and JD mounted his seemingly in the tranny tunnel, possibly replacing the stock shifter box all together. So any one know?

Stroeve item:

Dcp_0407kl.jpg

VWMS item (Courtesy of Bildon):

VWRShifter.jpg

JD Engineering Corrado, from PVW:

File0005.jpg

The motorsport-style shifters are a nice piece of kit! They completely change the feel of the shift to a very positive, short-throw action. Really gives the car a motorsport feel and they look the dogs too ! Wish I'd never sold mine now.....:(

Anyways, AFAIK JD mounted his in the same way as I have seen others, only difference was he fabricated a carbon-fibre transmission tunnel cover / shroud (see the above pic of the one in his 16VG60 Corrado, you can see the carbon-fibre shroud covering the mounting plate which fixes the shifter mech to the transmission tunnel) that attached to the transmission tunnel to make the installation of the shifter a little tidier.

They all mount to the transmission tunnel AFAIK and hence unless the top lever is shortened the shifter knob will sit a bit higher than OEM fitment. I have attached a few pics of how these shifters are attached so you can see how they would look etc.

Cheers and HTH

So does it shift in a traditional 'gate' pattern or do they shift in a sequential style? I can appreciate the engineering and function, but the pink car pic makes it look like a Dalek.

And 353hp with 264lb/ft from a 1900 16V G60 !!! Jesus!!

How does the sequishift work?

Well what i mena is does it work well or not?

The Motorsport shifter makes it much quicker to shift and they look the dogs!

G60Jet, wee bit expensive though, but very nicce peice of kit. Imagine could gain some quick times on 1/4mile with that.

Anyways, AFAIK JD mounted his in the same way as I have seen others, only difference was he fabricated a carbon-fibre transmission tunnel cover / shroud (see the above pic of the one in his 16VG60 Corrado, you can see the carbon-fibre shroud covering the mounting plate which fixes the shifter mech to the transmission tunnel) that attached to the transmission tunnel to make the installation of the shifter a little tidier.

I can understand that, but its the height that throws me for a loop. The lower portion, not Carbon-fibre, looks like the stock lower trim, in the stock place. And that piece sits a mere couple centimeters from the tranny tunnel. So to conventionally mount an MS shifter, would mean it would sit alot higher....yes?

As in this mk4(?), I dont like all the exposed stuff...looks unfinished...which from a racing point of view is fine, but daily driving, I like a cleaner look.

t_4_small_102.jpg

I always think I will get my fingers jammed in the mechnism. I know what I am like and I will stick my fingers in there just cos I can. I cant help it!

there's one out that makes the gears shift like a sequential box, its american looks the dogs.

http://www.seqshift.com

Sounds pretty good, pics aren't working though unfortunately.

As it's not a true sequential, I take it you can still 'side shift' and go from 5th to 2nd?

Yes, as can be seen from the pics, the shifter will sit quite a bit higher than the conventional OEM one, but you can order a shortened lever from JD Engineering or just buy the whole mechanism and get a shortened lever fabricated at a metalworkers or the other way to do it would be to get the shifter mount (the bottom part that the actual mechanism sits on top of / is bolted to and is fixed to the transmission tunnel) refabricated to be smaller than height then the problem of the shift lever sitting higher is solved.

HTH

there's one out that makes the gears shift like a sequential box, its american looks the dogs.

http://www.seqshift.com

Sounds pretty good, pics aren't working though unfortunately.

As it's not a true sequential, I take it you can still 'side shift' and go from 5th to 2nd?

Not at all, thats the brilliant bit, cant remember how it does it, but it was simple

schalthebel.jpg

Cheap

That looks mighty tempting....thats about ~$400USD. great price.

the other way to do it would be to get the shifter mount (the bottom part that the actual mechanism sits on top of / is bolted to and is fixed to the transmission tunnel) refabricated to be smaller than height then the problem of the shift lever sitting higher is solved.

HTH

Ahhh, that definitely makes sense and could definitely work. Thanks!

can you take a picture of the underside, through the bottom of the mount?

Just want to see how the mount attaches to the shifter.

thanks.

can you take a picture of the underside, through the bottom of the mount?

Just want to see how the mount attaches to the shifter.

thanks.

the shifter body has 4 tapped holes in it. and 4 bolts go through the plate in the top of the mount and into the body of the shifter.