Sign in to follow this  
fabvr6

pas fluid

Why do you want to change it?

If there's nothing wrong with the fluid in there then I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference if you change it.

The fluid to be used in the raddo pumps is specific so it's best to get it from VAG ( it's a dark green colour ).

EDIT-- sorry, welcome to the forum aswell. :D

Yep, VW uses it's own PAS oil, do not use ATF fluid as you can damage the seals!

If your fluid is not green in colour or the pump is noisy I'd change it but otherwise wouldn't worry - be careful not to run the pump dry tho!

oh dear, ive just topped mine up as it was VERY low. Steering doesnt seem any different even though the level was really REALLY low. Didnt get VAG PAS fluid, bought Slick 50 PAS fluid

If you haven't got the correct fluid then you should drain it stright away, it can knacker the pump.

Is the fluid dark green mate?

what kind of noise will it be, a rattle, a squeak? didnt feel too bad when it was low and i mean below min mark. Felt a tad heavy, still does now ive topped it up. But its not over heavy. really heavy compared to our lasses lupo. I know its a small lighter car anyway. But you can drive hers with one finger.

Nah, I reckon you'd know about it if your pump was foofed , they make a sorta squeeling noise, louder on full lock. SOunds like you have a leak somewhere anyway?

Most VW PAS pumps of that era seem to be pretty noisy TBH..it's only excessive noise you need to worry about. Might be worth changing the fluid if it hasn't been done to your knowledge, it can't hurt.

the fluid is a lot cheaper than it used to be and its not worth the risk - if you aint got the proper stuff in, get is changed....

squealing on full lock is a loose belt and tightening/replacing will resolve it.

if the fluid is low, you will get noise as the pump "cavitates" when the fluid is low.