Sign in to follow this  
markeboy2005

how do i change the termostat

anybody got a good step by step guide to changing the thermostat on a vr6, i am going to atempt it tommorrow... do i have to remove the entire housing? and does it just pull of from the pipe that goes across the front of the engine?? any guides tip much appreciated. does the cover, covering the sensors just pull off? thankyou....

Just below the dizzy or coil pack lives the thermostat housing. Bolted on to the cylinder head by three hex bolts, it has three hoses going to it and has three sensors in it (lots of threes). Sensors are yellow, black and blue.

Drain the cooling system by removing bottom rad hose.

Disconnect hoses from the housing and wires to sensors.

Undo the three hexs bolts holding on the housing and pull it away from the cylinder head and the water pipe going across the front of the engine.

Take the housing apart by undoing another three hexs bots and you'll see the thermostat.

When replacing it, replace the o ring it sits in.

Refitting is the reversal of removal.

Refil cooling system through top rad hose.

Thats it. Shouldn't take you more than an hour.

(Yes, the cover over the sensors pulls off. Pull it in the direction of the battery. Should slide off with a bit of force. And yes the housing will just pull off of the water pipe)

I recently changed one of these sensors and didn't need to drain the system. Had the new sensor prepared with the O ring, removed the horseshoe clip that holds it in, did a quick pull of the old one and push in the new one, then replaced the horseshoe clip that holds it in place. Reconnected plug, filled the expansion tank with the small amount that was lost and voila. Saves ££ on G12+.

On the other hand if your system could do with flushing, you may as well go the whole hog.

Either way keep your eye on coolant levels for the next few days after to make sure the fit is snug.

I recently changed one of these sensors and didn't need to drain the system.

markeboy2005 is changing his thermostat though, not one of those sensors.

I'd replace the housing aswell. Chances are that this is the first time your thermostat is being replaced, so it's had years of getting hot and cold. It may look ok while fitted, but once you start undoing the bolts it could easily crack... Happened to me!

New housing is only about £35 or so from the dealers, so well worth doing...

hey

after trying to change the termostat, one of the three bolts holding it on got ground up, i seemed slightly corroded, anyway i cood not get the bolt of so i could not change the thermostat, any idea's on removing the bolt, it the one at the back that is reccessed back(of course) !!

the only thing i could think of was to break the housing off and get some mole grips in there, but i dont really fancy that,

also how hot should the bottom hose get,? while my top hose is to hot to hold the bottom one gets dam hot but nothing as hot as the top, i guess its being cooled in the red, so it could make sense,

one other thing, when i run the engine with out the expantion cap on, it bubbles over before the fan cuts in, any idea's?