Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Quick question for the audiophiles on here ?

Ok, just looking for a quick answer to this question, I have been offered a Focal 13" sub and an MB Quart 12" sub, which will be used in a custom rear enclosure in my boot. Which of these two has the best all-round SQ and bass (want punchy hard bass but not at Saxo-esque levels Confused ) qualities ? I listen to mostly house music but some vocally-focused, melodic indie / rock. The two on offer are@

Focal Focal 13" 33-V2 400 WRMS

MB Quart RWC-304 Reference-Line Dual voice-coil 300WRMS

Anyone ?

Cheers

The Focal doesn't drop low enough for my liking. Not heard the MB so can't comment.

I'd recommend JL subs over either of those two anyway.

I'd dissagree about the JL, in my experience they are loud, low, but not musical and that's what you'd want for rock music.

I guess eash person has there own favourite for the style of music they like, the layout of the car, their amp, and the box......

There are lots of things to consider beyond what sub to buy I guess....

If you want to get proper technical about it there is a LOT of tuning you can do in just the box alone. i've had a £150 sub come third in a sound off at 141.8dB just because i had a VERY funky box!

I have had a few makes of sub before, but always seem to come back to Rockford Fosgate, they drop low and are by far the nicest sounding subs i have heard.

But yes, everyone has their own preferences at the end of the day, and lets face it, the variables are huge on an install!

Cheers for the replies, but has anyone actually had experience of the SQ and bass / drop capacity of either the Focal or MB Quart listed above ? I have to choose between THESE two specifically as this is what is on offer to me.

Thanks

Yeah the Perfect 12 is a very nice sub. Sounds almost identical to an Image Dynamics 12, also a very good sub only a £100.

Agreed on the box design being very important, but I've noticed marked improvments using different subs in the same box.

BigTartanJudge, you need to hear them with your own ears and form your own conclusions. If you're just after SQ punch, then either should be fine.

BigTartanJudge, you need to hear them with your own ears and form your own conclusions.

Yeah, at the end of the day, all you are going to get is our own opinions on the subs, try going to a halfrauds and play with their stereo wall.

Why bang your head on the wall? YOU asked the question :roll:

What do you want us to say? "Yeah buy the MB Quart, it's sounds perfect, best sub ever made?" God knows how many times you've asked the same questions about the same subs, just go and listen to them FFS.

Well excuse me, there is no need to be rude.....the problem is that NO-ONE up here stocks EITHER of these subs, so thats why I wanted peoples opinion of them i.e people who have actually had experience with using with of them.

I know I asked the question, but the question still hasn't been answered, hence why I felt frustrated and as if I was banging my head on the wall, that's all :roll:

Cheers

Have you tried looking at http://www.talkaudio.co.uk ?

Its specifically an audio website, and more people likey to have experience of these subs.

Focal are a very good make (that to for the MB), if you cant seperate them musically, try seeing which one looks nicer!!

Either way you are laughing!

Hope you get it sorted mate

Well excuse me, there is no need to be rude.....the problem is that NO-ONE up here stocks EITHER of these subs, so thats why I wanted peoples opinion of them i.e people who have actually had experience with using with of them.

I know I asked the question, but the question still hasn't been answered, hence why I felt frustrated and as if I was banging my head on the wall, that's all :roll:

Cheers

Well, I do have experience of the Focal, which as I said is good for SQ punch but lacks the real deep clout of some other subs around, depends what kind of bass you like. I think you'd get on with either tbh. Make sure you make the box to the exact specifications put down by the manufacturer and the Focal isn't designed for Ported, so that'll have to go in a sealed cabinet.

I do actually have experience of both these subs, If i was to be honest the focal wins in very area, IMO. awesome sq sub with a very good range, as kev said its not the deepest sub in the world but i dont think that will matter that much.

The real key will be the enclosure, screw this up and you might as well put a house speaker in there!!

Start with the specific enclosure for the sub and then if your not 100% happy with it change some of the variables - and remember weather its new or hasnt been used for a while it will need running in, the sound will change as time passes and the speaker beds in so give it some time

in addition to this they are both good subs, make sure you use a quality amp (rca & cables too) and ensure its not clippin

HTH

:)