Sign in to follow this  
polocarls

What do you guys think of....

the MG TF....

I've been considering getting a convertible lately but being fussy about how it looks the TF is the only one (which i can really afford) that catches my eye.

But i've heard so many bad things about them which makes me think that i could make a big mistake if i get one.

Yea, Ive read a few bad pointers about them aswell, like the cambelt snapping early and some other silly stuff.

They do look good tho (but it is a girls car )

utter garabage.

a guy i used to work with ahd one, with the optional sports pack. he reckoned it was 160bhp, but it was a flat as a fart.

build quality was shocking. so bad that i actually thought it'd bee resprayed! messy seam sealer o nthe joints, not nice.

as for the interior, well, the dash looks like one of those fibreglass blanks they use in race cars.

totally unimpressive.

Couple of people I work with have got them, they seem happy enough with them & have'nt spent a fortune trying to maintain them. :roll:

Suggest you check insurance costs before diving in.

utter crap, check head gasket if its not gone it will. .

and then check again...........heard they eat em for breakfast lunch and dinner :twisted:

utter garabage. with the optional sports pack. he reckoned it was 160bhp, but it was a flat as a fart.

totally unimpressive.

Yep, my ex had a very nice looking gold one with cream leather with the sport pack, it looked good but that was about it.

Engine as Phat says, phlat as a phart! I can't believe it was 160bhp and rwd. My rado would have demolished it on any road at any speed. The brakes were absolutely dead feeling, it had big brembos on it so should have stopped very well, yet it left you wondering whether you were going to hit the car in front every time. I'm a big bloke and with my size 11s behind the brake pedal, pulling on the steering wheel I couldn't stop it quickly enough....frightening. The engine noise is awful, so flat, my ex used to comment all the time about how much nicer the VR6 sounded. Gear change stiff as buggery. Visibility is apalling unless you are 5 foot nothing because they fit the biggest rear view mirror you've ever seen and the A-pillar is so thick you find yourself rocking in the seat and peering round it to see if the road ahead is clear at junctions and on the twisty stuff. Handling wise it doesn't get any better, it's very choppy and hops across the road on bends...scuttle shake city. They have their fans but they are mainly people who buy them because they want to be seen in them, not because they want to drive them like a sports car. Majorly disappointing imo. Buy an MX5 every time over one of them. There is some seriously bad buffeting going on with the roof down too btw.

Yeh, this is all what i've been hearing, oh well...

No i'm not a hairdresser, but i am female so guess i can get away with a car like that...

God, this isn't sounding good at all. I did have a look at the MX-5 but the looks just aren't the same and for that sort of price there isn't much else. Guess i'll just have to wait and perhaps save some more...

If not an elise - dare I suggest a Vauxhall VX220 as they are a bit cheaper and yet easily as good if not a little better than the elise if you get the turbo, bearing in mind they are basically an elise with more protection and safety features. Looks wise they are very individual and I think superb. Not loads of them about like MG's either.

Just one thing to do with a VX220 and thats remove all signs of vauxhall badges and smooth over!