Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Pela Oil Extractors..

Has anybody used one of these? Been reading about it on UK MKIV's - the 6 litre one only costs £30 - and with the TDI filter being a replaceable cartridge that you get access to on the top / front of the engine bay, it would mean I wouldn't have to jack the car up and faff around on the floor to do an oil change. Hooray!

http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?orig=ga

Apparently this is the way that VW dealers change the oil on their cars?

Cheers.

Well i've been doing some reading up and it certainly seems to get good reviews. And as I really don't have the space to start sticking my car up on a jack then I think this might be something i'd consider buying. I don't see how its lazy anyway - just negates the need to feck about under the car!

Out of curiosity how much is a set of wheel ramps? They'd be a lot easier for me to get under the car (as I live on a hill and would prefer not to use a jack!) and would mean I could have a go at doing the work under the car instead.

Just watched a pretty cool 'howto' video clip off a TDI owners club site - piece of cake. Might tackle this over the christmas break :)

How much oil for the TDI btw steve? I've heard 4.5 litres... and yeah I know I need to get the specific PD oil, etc :)

Fair enough... It's just lying on your back and getting oil in yer hair is all part of the fun!

It's 4.3 ltres and I got a box of the Quantum PD stuff (red lable) as it's alot cheaper than the VW longlife oil (plus I change it reguarly anyway)

I bought 4x5ltrs for about £75 from Audi (but I had to order a box of 4)

Your best off going to GSF and buying 1 for £25ish and the filter is about a fiver (again the GSF ones are the same just in a bosch box..)

Cheers for that. I'm pretty sure i'm not on Longlife servicing anyway so it'd have to be the normal PD oil for me.

Any idea how much a set of those drive on ramps would be from someone like Halfrauds mate? We've got a machine mart in Coventry but they don't seem to list them..

As I said in my previous post, I live on a big hill so it'd probably be a lot safer having the ramps rather than trying to jack the car up. In fact if the gradient was right, would probably be able to get the car dead level on a set of ramps :)

Sweet. Think the ramps would be a better spend than the oil sucker thing then - cause at least the ramps mean I can do other stuff under the car in the future whereas the oil pump is sort of single-purpose! :)

Ramps are pretty cheap Jim. Even halfords have 'em for £34.

No. - they are no where near big enough for Corrado size wheels...

I looked into this and you need to spend about £100 to get ones that are up to the job... I just use a Halfords 2 Tonne Jack with a pair of axle stands which were free with them...

Hm. I don't really wanna spend that much if I can help it.

Dad has a decent jack but there is just nowhere suitable to use it other than his garage - and that has his Daimler in it! Maybe we can back that out over christmas and get my car in there for an hour to do the oil change..

You'll need good flat ground to use the ramps anyway...

Just get the oil extracter Jim, I'm sure it will come in useful for other stuff too - I was only taking the p1ss in the first post as I prefer to do it the old fashioned way...

I'd still advise doing a sump oil change every 2 or 3 times and change the plug (you have to as it's an alloy sump) just to get it all out...

Yeah I know mate, don't worry ;)

I'll be getting Stealth to do my next service anyway (20k jobbie) and I know they do a proper sump job anyway. I do wanna learn the proper way of doing it anyway and I don't mind scrabbling round on the floor.

I'll see what I feel like doing over xmas but i'm definately gonna tackle it. My engine is sounding especially clattery lately and going on the vast improvement shown in my mates PD150 after he had it serviced, I think nows a good time to get it sorted.