Sign in to follow this  
Lanceevox

Gas Leakage

I have been smelling gas when I start up my engine ever sense I bought my Corrado. Today I checked under the hood and I could see gas was coming out of a part toward the front of the engine. I have no idea what it is called. It runs out of the right front of the vr6 engine and from there a meshed tube comes from it. gas is leaking from the part. Is it ok to drive? How much will it cost to fix?

If any gas is leaking out of anywhere don't even start the motor up or you will risk under bonnet(hood) fires or worse loose the hole car.

Fuel(gas) vapour will ignite more easily

It sounds like your describing the fuel pressure regulator?or fuel lines?not to sure pics, will help

Yep, found the same thing on Kevhaywire's car a couple of weeks back, the green O ring had just started to disintegrate... luckily we managed to get it out without dropping bits into the fuel rail...

there will be pressure on the fuel rail so if you leave the car switched off for 10 minutes or so to allow the pressure to subside

Pull off the rubber pipe connected to the fuel rail regulator and then pull out the metal clip that holds it in place.

Wiggle the fuel pressure regulator out slowly and allow any pressure left in the rail to be released slowly.

Its straight forward and once you have the regulator out you will see the fault.

Try not to get any old bits of seal left in the fuel rail as this could clog an injector.

I am sorry I am totaly clueless but where can I get a new O ring? Are most O rings compatable from car to car so I could just pick one up from Kragen?

OK, I took off the clasp and the regulator. The green O ring seemed like it was in good condition, NO cracks or splits. the other rubber ring seemed alright as well. the filter was also in ok condition. I had a little gas spill while removing the regulator (about a cup of gasoline spilled...). I am letting the engine air out and a rinsed the engine out a bit with some water. I will try starting up the car later on in the day to see if there is still a leak. Is there anything I can do to make sure the gas fumes disapate? Should I continue rinsing the engine with water to relieve it of gasolene?

The seals were fine. I decided just to put it back in and push it in nice and tight. I started up the engine and no gas leak what so ever. I ran it around the block and still no leak. I think I have fixed it for the moment. I think it just leaks a little inconsistantly.