Sign in to follow this  
Corrado_Auto

VR6 Lower Intake 2.8 vs 2.9

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the lower intake manifold of a 2.9 has larger inlets than the 2.8. I noticed that when I put a 2.9 upper and lower on the car the lower runners seem to be larger on the outside. What I should have done is measure the inside diameter of the runners on both 2.8 and 2.9.

The reason I am asking is I might replace the 2.9 with a Schrick so to ensure maximum air flow if the 2.9 lowers are larger I will keep the lower and sell the upper 2.9 only.

If anyone has any experience or has both lowers laying around could you measure the inlet diameters for me?

Thanks to all

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

I have a 2.8 upper section on my 2.9 lower section and they mate up just fine. I'm pretty sure the only difference between the 2.9 and 2.8 manifolds internally is plenum area (larger on 2.9) and throttle bore (smaller on 2.8 ), the runner bores are the same. That's true of UK manifolds at least.....I think :lol:

Hi to all,

the lower manifold of the 2.8l and 2.9l are all the same. No difference.

The upper manifold of the 2.8l and the 2.9l have the same intake diameter and the same outtake diameters. The only difference is the internally area, the 2.9l is larger there.

The throttle body of the 2.8l have the same diameter at the intake side, at the outtake side and they have the same diameter at the plate. There are only the ramps in the 2.8l. But notice ===> the 2.9l throttle body simulates the ramps by their mechanic between the plate and the pedal!!!

The XXL TB´s I offer are more effective as the 2.9l ones.

Only the OBD2 throttle bodies have less diameter at the intake and the outtake side.

Hope this helps. If oyu need VR6 parts like XXL tb´s, manifold parts, NO problem :-)

Regards from Germany,

Micha

Hi to all,

the lower manifold of the 2.8l and 2.9l are all the same. No difference.

The upper manifold of the 2.8l and the 2.9l have the same intake diameter and the same outtake diameters. The only difference is the internally area, the 2.9l is larger there.

The throttle body of the 2.8l have the same diameter at the intake side, at the outtake side and they have the same diameter at the plate. There are only the ramps in the 2.8l. But notice ===> the 2.9l throttle body simulates the ramps by their mechanic between the plate and the pedal!!!

The XXL TB´s I offer are more effective as the 2.9l ones.

Only the OBD2 throttle bodies have less diameter at the intake and the outtake side.

Hope this helps. If oyu need VR6 parts like XXL tb´s, manifold parts, NO problem :-)

Regards from Germany,

Micha

Thank you very much to all who responded. I should have e-mailed you directly Micha since you are the 2.9 king. Please say hello to Britta for me..........Thanks, Brian

Hi there Brian,

you again :-)

hello back from Britta again. Geri asked me to look for a Schrick or a VW motorsport manifold. It´s hard to get these for a good price, but I´ll have a look for you of course.

It would be the best if the new upper part would be ported to match your ported lower part perfectly.

Best wishes again from Germany,

Micha