Sign in to follow this  
Loza

Rear axle bushes?

Anyone know what it would cost to replace the rear axle bushes on a vr6?

Is the difference really that good?

My car has done 65k.

I've just fitted new Weitec GT kit which is great and of course now I just want to keep moding!!!

God I love my Rado.

Just picked up a mint golf mk1 GTI with only 70k genuine for £1100.

2 very different but very special cars. :lol:

Loza, Be sure to use genuine VW bushes in the axle mounts - poly ones will ruin the car's handling.

Fitting them needs a VW special tool - you'll need to find a garage that has one.

Depends entirely where you get it done. Find a garage who know what they're doing & have the right tools. With the right tools, it is possible to do the bushes with the axle still on the car.

Also depends how easily your old bushes come out of the axle - they're usually quite tight.

Haven't changed them myself but from what others have said, it's around a 3-4 hour job.

That's a bit harsh Steve. Poly bushes would be an improvement over worn out std ones. The passive steer aspect is a pretty personal thing too. I doubt most people would notice the difference.

Gavin

At 65k they shouldn't be too bad but they will be still worth replacing in terms of age...

The bushes are not expensive but like Steve says 3/4 hours is a good estimate and being a VR6 it's quite likely the rear brake bias valve will need to be cut off (replacement is about £55 from GSF) and you'll probably want to replace the 2 small brake hoses as they are coming off anyway - good time to fit a Goodridge kit...

That's a bit harsh Steve. Poly bushes would be an improvement over worn out std ones. The passive steer aspect is a pretty personal thing too. I doubt most people would notice the difference.

Gavin

Quite true but my opinions are based on the fact that the axle bushes will only be changed once during the life of most Corrados. OE ones last for approx 10 years, I see nothing to be gained by fitting poly bushes & loosing the "passive steering" effect of the rear axle.

Elsewhere on the suspension there are gains to be had from poly bushes, especially with lowered/stiffened suspension (I have them fitted to mine) but not in the rear axle.

I went to the Stealers the other day to enquire about this job on my MK4. As I assume labour to do the job and cost of parts are roughly similar, I might as well mention it.

I'd heard that the Stealers had a special tool to do it and would essentially undercut anywhere else so I was a bit stunned to be quoted about £410 for the job. I think the salesman could see how stunned I was as he backpeddled a bit on the price and said that they lower the labour cost for VW's that are 5 years old or more (new one on me?) and came up with a new figure of £320.

I think considering it would be about the same price to get some decent poly bushes from Stealth all done for the same money, I know where i'll be going!

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/posting.ph ... e&p=392391

Cool, that is the price (or cheaper) to aim for then.

I must reiterate they are not a direct fit in the Corrado. Some tweaking of the shelf supports is required and where the shelf bolts to the turret, needs filing down also, in order for the oblong hole part of the clamp to fit. It's all pretty minor stuff, none of which will be obvious if the brace is later removed.

Still chuffed with it, definitely something VW should have fitted at the factory! Wait until you find a favourite 2nd gear corner, plant it and *then* you will feel the passive steering :-) Zero understeer......

IMO that much of an improvement is worth double what Trimsport ask, and as Gav says, the quality of the workmanship is fantastic.

More of the rock, less of the roll.......bring it on :-)

They are very good if you want a go-kart but i have heard of the back stepping out on lowered cars with polys