Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

Disabling Power Steering on a KR...

...because I still haven't got off my fat arse and sorted out replacing my duff power steering rack, anyone know how easy it is to rig up the KR engine so everything runs except the power steering pump. Shorter pulley belt?

I know it's going to be heavy on the arms, but at least she'll be mobile again! Curse this damn weather and dark nights! :?

Ta muchly.

Mark - this won't really be viable, do you realise how heavy it will be? much heavier than a car without PAS as your having to move the cold hydraulic fluid around the rack...

It will be dangerous to drive IMO...

My belt broke once on my old golf2. Best way of describing it is trying to turn a golf1 on the spot. Going round corners was very dangerous. Wouldn’t be able to drive the car around town at ALL, unless your worlds strongest man :lol:

My power steering pump is very feeble and can't handle cold PAS fluid, so I spend the first couple of miles of winter journeys with effectively no power steering. It is, indeed, bloody hard work and horrendously dangerous.

I really should fix it but when the weather's warm enough to tackle the job the PAS fluid is thin enough for the pump to...errr...pump, so it gets forgotten.

Removing the PAS belt will eliminate your problem...

But the steering gets very very heavy i have tryed it once near the neighborhood to test it.

It is very dangegrous to drive.

I wouldn´t ride the car on the street.

I have done this because i find my steering very light, in my opinion lighter than when i bought the car, i wonder why...

All the tracking is correctly set up after fitting new shocks and tires.

I was thinking to replace the stock PAS pulley for a bigger one.

I believe this will turn the steering a little more heavier.

What do you guys think about this?

Cheers all, suppose I was being a tad naive, just fed up of not using her!

Will ditch that particular 'brainwave'!

Bloody bloody bloody SNOW, pain in the arse!

Mark, I can see how much my mate at Audi can get you a rack for but I doubt it will be anywhere near the GSF/ECP price for that sort of thing...

Mark, I can see how much my mate at Audi can get you a rack for but I doubt it will be anywhere near the GSF/ECP price for that sort of thing...

Cheers, can't hurt to find out, but as you say doubt it will be any cheaper. Think I might have a secondhand spare rack if I can find it. Just need to get the time / energy to crack on with it.