Sign in to follow this  
Loza

BUMP STOPS???

When fitting a lowering suspension kit, what is the reason for chopping the bump stops down??

If you lower the car by 40mm, how much do you need to chop off OE bump stops. Should special ones be fitted?

Thanx!

The BS's fit between the stuts and the springs so when lowering a car you need to shorten them otherwise you car will be riding on them constantly...

So yeah, shorten by the amount you lower by...

At the front you can use MK4 ones which are shorter or just shorten your existing ones... At the back the BS's also act as spring assistors so the originals will be knackered so you'll need to buy replacements...

Cheesr!

Unfortunately, the suspension kit has already been fitted by the garage.

Is it reasonable to ask them to re-do it.??? Surely they should have done this automatically. The rear of the car rides rather firm and bouncy and I suspect that it is due to the original length bumpstops!

I am in France so it's quite hard talking technical in froggy!

The BS's fit between the stuts and the springs so when lowering a car you need to shorten them otherwise you car will be riding on them constantly...

Ah but at the rear on normal mcphersons, you ride on them permanently anyway. Bump Stop is the wrong description for the rear really, they're spring assistors. The reason you cut them down is because the piston rod will be 40 or so mm shorter also, so it's mainly a clearancing thing and also to stop the extra 40mm of BS over springing the rear.....if that makes sense, LOL!

Loza, they may be able to cut them down without taking them off, just get them to jack it up and try to cut them from within the springs...

That's sound good!

So just to double check! They need to take 40mm off the top of the rears and the fronts don't really need it? Or do they??

40mm off the rears - shouldn't be too hard if they are the original foam ones...

Fronts you can get away with but i'd try and cut them down too...

Supercharged

Thanks for the quick response!

You're a diamond geeza.

I'm off to try and talk sense into the frogs