vwdeviant

Boot lock woes

Am having a problem with the boot lock in that it's stopped working full stop! Sod's law that the MOT's due next week and I can't find a manual for the 'Rado either.

Any help on how to get to the back of the lock without wrecking the cover panel inside the boot?

Hey wwdeviant

Taking the cover panel off won't wreck it. They're lil plastic screw type things. Just use a star screw driver and give em a twist and each one will come off with little bother.

Mine stopped working once. I had to climb in to the boot (lucky i'm only 5'6"), remove the plastic cover.

In my case, the lever that is operated by pressing the button had become detached. It just clipped back into place, hey presto!!

No problems since and i now know that i can fit a body in the back of the Corrado!!

Cheers guys! Did manage to get into the boot via back seats (not easy as I'm 5'11! And turns out the "monkey metal" color round the lock which actually activates the release has snapped! :x

And it due an MOT on Thursday!

Is this part a 'Rado specific or is it Golf as well?

BTT Still need some help here guys, the GF is getting hacked off with putting shopping on the back seats and I put my back out everytime I want to get to the changer in the boot!

Have had a look a Mk2 Golf and appears to be different!

any-one else had this problem? Surely I can't be the only one who's suffered a lock lever failure?

The G/friend left me so I got one that doesn't go shopping, oh well silver linings etc..

It could be similar to the Passat part, but it deffo ain't MKII or MKIII golf...

Time to visit VW and get a new one... :|

Has anyone got a picture of what a working boot lock looks like internally. My alarm fob won't reset and I've got a feeling it's caused by this! Thanks in advance

Miles

Don't have a pic of it in the car, but here's my spare.

bootlock.jpg

The two white plastic inserts hold the pushrods captive - firmly pull straight towards you and they'll release. They just snap in under pressure when you're reassembling.

Once you knock the small brass pin out (holding the button in the pressed position makes it easier), the lock barrel should come out forwards, towards the key, when the key is turned. You may need to wiggle the key around a bit and/or use force if the wafers are stuck! Once it's out, you can retumble it - asking nicely at your local indy VW place usually gets you a small pile of wafers and springs - it's a lot easier if you let it sit in a tub of WD40 for a week or so before you try moving any of the pins, though.

Hope that helps!

Stone

My boot wasn't locking at all either. None of my keys fitted the lock and it was in the horizontal position which makes it lock independently of the central locking.

Got a spare lock and key from Rodmax on here. But when I was fitting it this evening, the white insert for the bottom most pushrod disintegrated. They're made from really crappy brittle plastic.

Do you think it's possible to get these separately from VW?

152000.png

Part #20 is labelled as "191837199 clip" so try asking your local VW stealers. Probably long obsolete now but worth a shot as it may have been used on other similar models.

Stone

Part #20 is labelled as "191837199 clip" so try asking your local VW stealers. Probably long obsolete now but worth a shot as it may have been used on other similar models.

Stone

They're 0.17 each. So I ordered 4 to make the postage worthwhile. :)

Thanks very much :cool::cool:

No problem - good to know they're still available, might pick one up to complete my spare lock next time I'm getting bits :)