Sign in to follow this  
emax

VR6: Sudden death but I've got a spark/fuel

Relay is "80" but part is an earlier relay version 191 906 383. Pump hasn't got 12 volts by the look of it.

Now solved!

Verified that the wiring was ok by bridging the relay with a paperclip and checking for volts.

Everything was looking ok from the wiring end but I couldn't get anything from the pump so I "gave up" and let Star Performance pick it up.

Turns out it was the pump itself after all, they changed the relay too.

Thanks to all for your suggestions/advice ;-)

Figured as much but you always get lambasted on here for suggesting the expensive items first!

Coolio, glad she's up and running again.

Did they manage to get a pump from VW OK as I've heard they've changed them about again?

Yes, it's a VAG pump that they've fitted so seemingly no supply problems up here anyway.

Looking forward to getting it back. Typically, 1hr before it died, I was chatting to my mate (who was with me on the drive) about how well the car was running at the moment!

That's what I get for tempting fate eh?!!!!

LOL, yeah I know what you mean..... they're getting to the age now where you shouldn't pat it on the back for fear of tempting fate!

Think of it this way - it's probably the last fuel pump and fuel pump relay you'll have to change on that car. I tend to run my cars on scrapyard parts so I often end up having to do the same job multiple times. I know it makes sense to buy new, but I'm all about the recycling :).