Sign in to follow this  
Dixxy

VR6 seems to mis-fire in the wet. - what an idiot..

Just taken my VR6 out of the garage for a blast... seemed fine to begin with but after a while developed a mis-fire low down in the rev range. This seem to clear if you gave it a boot full but even then i'm sure it didn't pull as strongly as normal.

Its a bit wet out so maybe this effected the running and i'm sure this has happened before in the wet.

Its a 94 VR6 so has a coil pack... Its recently had new leads and plugs as part of a head rebuild.

Could a coil pack cause this mis-fire... how can you test a coil pack... will VAG COM tell me (i'm expecting a OBD2 lead any day now)

VAG-COM doesn't monitor the coilpack.

You'll need to spray the pack with some water with the engine running to determine whether it's cracked internally or not.

So get the car dry and running right i.e. not no mis-fire and then spray the coil pack with water. Are there any visable signs or any multi meter quick checks??

Does it sound like a coil-pack problem or does your instinct point else where i.e. somewhere cheaper than £120

What an idiot... just had another look over the car and found a nice lose ignition lead.... pushed i back on and would you believe it no miss-fire.

Appologies to the forum for wasting your time and appologies to my C for always thinking the worst :splat: