Sign in to follow this  
dalevr6

mk4 gt tdi buying help needed please

sorry its not corrado talk but it is still vw talk,

any way ive just put a deposit down on mk4 golf gt tdi (150) with a private dealer.

just went to do an aa car data check and they dont have the details to match the reg the car now has,so i put in the private plate reg no which has just been taken of the car and it lists it as a gt tdi(115) ?????

How can i tell what the car is? does any one have one and know if it states the bhp on the log book?

any advice is very much appreciated

many thanks Dale.

What year is it mate, and what colour arrangement is on the TDI badge on the back.

Have a look in the service book or in the boot and find the sticker with the car details / options, etc - it should have the engine code on there - should be top / right sort of area. The PD115 engine is 'AJM' so if it shows it as that, then its not what its claimed to be! I think the PD150 engine code is ARL?

Can also tell by the way it drives TBH - 115PD builds up torque quickly and is really all out of puff by about 2,300RPM - the 150PD turbo takes longer to spool but will pull much harder round the rev range..

cheers Jim hopped you might be able to help,

its a 02 52 reg, goes like stink and id be amazed if its onli 115 brake but it is the only one ive driven. but it does build up quickly like you say?

its not got the right badge on the boot it has a gti badge?

starting to smell a rat!

Is it an anniversary? Big BBS alloy wheels, red striped recaro interior?

He might have debadged it and stuck on a GTI badge though - the sticker in the boot or service book will tell all though....

the story is that he imported the car from new. he bought it in sweden and had it spected with a gti badge.

he then sold the car to his sister inlaw a couple of months later. who has just recently px the car back with him.

he claims its a 150 but without calling vw who will be closed tommorrow how can you tell? does it say any where on the v5? or is the only way of knowing down to vin and engine numbers in which case i will deff need to wait and check it out with vw,

Jim its deff not an aniversary, how did you know for sure yous was actually a 115 when you bought it if you dont mind me asking?

thanks for the help everyone much appreciated.

Just check the engine code...

AJM = 115PS

ASZ = 130PS

ARL = 150PS

Jim can probably put how the TDI badge next to the above? - I can't quite remember but I think ours are red D and I...

I thought the GTI badge is normal for a 150pd TDI - check the 150 TDIs on ebay, the 2 I saw had the GTI badges.

update;

been able to do the AA check now with the plate the car now has on it ,and it does still list it as a gt tdi(115). spoke to the dealer and he still claims its a 150.

cant check with vw untill tommorrow but its strange why the aa think its a 115 if its not. he cant get me the engine code untill tommorrow or the kw number as he is away at the min.

i do have the engine number which starts SGFM and ends in GE but is it possible to tell the bhp from that?

Not the engine number - definately the engine code you need. Its the three digit one and it should be one of the three listed above by Supercharged. That will clarify all basically.

Supercharged - yeah mate - ours should read TDI on the back!

Different BHP / torque values!

The 115PD is 115BHP and 210lb/ft torque.. the 130 is 130BHP and er, not sure on the torque.. and the 150PD is 150BHP with 250lb/ft of torque.

They do all drive very differently thanks to (amongst other things) turbo and intercooler differences.. the 150PD is RAPID after a remap!

triggermyson they represent the different bhp models 115 130 150.

ill have to wait now till tomoz to get the code and also ring vw,

thanks again to jim and everyone for your help and ill let you know

the results tommorrow.

Dale

The 115 and 130 drive about the same, fairly unnoticable lag and good acceleration in all gears with the 130 obviously feeling somewhat faster than the 115...

The 150 is different... due to the FMIC you do get a noticable lag but when it goes, it really does go with an insane amount of torque!

OK so it looks like it is a 150 , which im glad.

vw uk had no record of the car as its an import,

AA said dont go by what they say to much as they get their info from DVLA and it could be wrong,said just to ring DVLA when i buy the car ,tell them the correct info and it will filter through to them. kinda makes you wonder wy do a check as they also didnt show on the repoert it was an import! good ah?

BUT the dealer got back to me with the engine code and its ARL.

also 110kw which both mean its a 150. hurray

Good news :)

Hope you enjoy it. My 115PD TDI has been a superb car. The handling is a bit ropey, but its very comfortable, surprisingly fast and the fuel economy is still a novelty even 9 months after I got it! :)

Thanks Jim ill let you know what we think of it , DO you think its the right sort of money?

52 plate. reg sept 2002,

import fromSweden,

1 previous owner,55k , full VW history, tax & mot till sept 06,

climate and sunroof, 3 door, reflex silver

4x new pirrelli p7 tyres,

its pretty much mint £9000

what do you reckon??

Just for your info, my brother sold his VR6 and bought a 150 Golf at the weekend - 33k miles, 02 52 reg, indigo blue 5 dr, 1 owner, heated seats and cruise control for £9,400, UK car with full history and mint. The 150 engines were all badged as GTi as far as I know and are listed in the brochure as GTi too.