Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Dodgy handbrake indicator light

my handbrake "on / off" light doesnt seem to be working properly? when the handbrake is applied the light goes on but when i let of the light doesnt turn off completely its stays at a dim red and occasionally goes out. I have ordered a new handbrake light switch thingy, is there anything else it could be? dodgy earth maybe?

not sure whether its a coincidence but my heater controls have just packed up aswell, meaning i only have the most powerful setting left to use, which i have also been told it may be the thermo fuse thats had it , which i have also ordered from maplins... :)

IIRC that light doubles up as an indicator to low brake fluid and also (possibly if you have it setup?) your brake pads are wearing low - not sure if G60's got this though... So check your fluid & brake pads. I had this a problem a little while ago, my fluid was fine so I just ignored it and it went away :)

As far as the heater is concerned you need to avoid soldering the fuse as the heat can knacker it (something to do with it being thermal ;) ). Crimping is the key I think. Do you have a guide on how to do it, there is one hanging about (try the search).

Also, did you order just one thermal fues? If you have a spare can I buy it? :)

I'm not sure this is the same issue. If the light comes on when you accelerate, then I think it's the warning. Otherwise, sounds like something electrical.

I had this once (and coincidently I thought I noticed it again today), but the garage said they changed the pads and it went away. Previous wisdom suggested that no Corrados have brake pad sensors, though (perhaps because they are notoriously unreliable?). Not sure about the brake fluid level, though. If this is true, it'd be good to know. That would make it equivalent to the coolant light / level indicator.

I await with bated breath.

i checked the resevoir this morning turned out to be corroded terminals on the float switch all sorted now! :)

Mine also does this, terminals seem fine. More worryingly the handbrake light turns on full when just driving down the motorway. Brake pads were changed about 6k miles ago.

Any any other ideas?

i once cleaned my engine bay, with this spray on and wash off stuff, got little water on the connector for the break sesivour, and the red light stayed on dim, i then cleaned the terminals and it went away.