Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Scam on Auto Trader

Selling my Brothers mk3 gti on auto trader, the ad went on the web site last night and already got the following scam email wanting the car to be shipped to Spain:

Hello Seller,

How are you doing today?I came across the advert of your used CAR

I am interested in purchasing the car you put up for sale get back to

us with your last asking price?But I would need more pictures also

with the present conditon of the CAR.I will want you to get back to me if AND only if,you still have the car for sale so that we may conclude on the purchase. Also i will like you to know that am buying the car for my daughter whom wedding is coming up in a few weeks from now.Get back to us with your last asking price and we will also like to know the present condition of the car get back to us,so that we can arrange for the payment fast,also my shipper will also coming to inspect the car on my behalf.Because my wife really love the car than i do,i will also want you to know that am a far away buyer from Spain which i will be responsible for the shippment of the

car,also payment will me made in U,K.I will want you to get back to me so that we can

arrange for the

payment fast,i await to read from you soon.

Thanks

Mr & Mrs

GILBERT

Well Im tempted to string them along to see what will occur but my instinct is to tell Mr and Mrs GILBERT to Foxtrot Oscar.

I doubt there is anything that they can do but I have forwarded the mail to autotrader.

Yep. The classic scam which virtually everyone who sells a car on autotrader gets.

Just don't reply. Easiest way.

I love the blatant capitalised-words for the mail-merge... hehe. Quality.

I've only ever advertised one car on Autotrader (and it didn't sell), all I got was annoying phonecalls from people telling me they had 3 buyers waiting to buy my car and I had to pay them £70 then the buyers would phone me straight away. Obviously I didn't take their offer but I probably got 4 calls a day for 2 weeks form these people. I'd never advertise on there again.

I had the same prob with a scammer on Ebay a month or so ago!!

I strung the guy along with daft questions about "turbo jet engines"! for motorcycles....the "amazing nightlife" in Bognor Moor...and with the promise of a big Western Union payment for him....we even forged a WU reciept and sent him off to his local Western Union office!!

These guys don't ahev a clue about the item for sale, so you can get a good laugh out of them asking daft questions to see what sort of response you get!