Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

So how much is my twin engined vr6 C gonna cost to build :)

Was just wondering after seeing that scirocco vid!

How much do ya reckon? I'm not talking show standard - just driveable and safe

Dubsport quote 25k to do a twin VR6 engined car... according to an article I read recently.. and 15-17k for rear engined car... If you ask me I'm in the wrong job!

Coming back down to earth I reckon it could be done for about 5-7k (depending on spec of engines) if you did it yourself.. at a guess!

25k!!! taking the p*ss that is....

i reckon 3 to 5k for a 'self-build' quality bodge job

Yeah, but I've added another 2k in there for the crap you end up buying cause thats how a project works!

I always work out exactly what I think it will cost. Then add 1/3 again. Tends to be about right. :)

So work it out as £3000 and it will cost £4000

Jay

Not that im in the same legue as you big boys, but any job it seams its all the little bits and peices that you just ignore that all add up to a fair old whack, and get you scratching your head at the end thinking that cant be right. But it allways is!

all you folks (b*stards) who have 4WD - does it sap much power away?? is it noticeable compared to the same engine in a 2WD?

I always work out exactly what I think it will cost. Then add 1/3 again. Tends to be about right. :)

So work it out as £3000 and it will cost £4000

I can vouch for that - I worked out exactly what mine was coing to cost including all the sundries I would need for my engine rebuild. But I've spent a fortune extra on just little bits and pieces that alot of it I couldn't tell you what. And still it's not quite finished!

my response to people who say 4wd saps power:-

what is wheelspin......if it's not a power loss, then what is......

the only disadvantage of the 4wd is the extra weight you have to drag around when you don't need the extra traction.

personally, I'll never have another 2wd car again. My missus car is a golf country. my daily is a golf v6 4 motion, my corrado, 4wd. I utterly detest cars that can't put the power down. wheelspin doesn't impress me, nor does drifting or burnouts. traction is what it's all about, that's what makes a fast car. I couldn't car less if the car has 800000bhp, if it can't put it to the ground it's worthless.

I've seen the light, 4wd cars are where it's at.

Go drive a golf syncro and compare it to a standard golf. I bet you can't feel the difference weight wise, the closer gearing makes up for it.

also, the independant rear suspension really helps the turn in.

i asked if 4WD saps power mate, not said. :)

trust me, if i had the cash, mine would be 4WD!

i will add though, i quite like lack of traction too :) it's all good

It depends on what 4wd system you're using (full time vs part time). The VW syncro system only transfers power to the rear wheels when the fronts slip so under 'average' driving conditions it doesn't sap any power at all. The later haldex type deliver a varying amount of power to the rears depending on wheel slippage, driving conditions etc etc. Just the extra weight to carry around as Paul says.

Chris

(Two Mk2 syncro's, One eight valve Mk2 GTI, one 91 G60 Rado and a partridge in a pear tree.)