Sign in to follow this  
mo_527

Advise on buying a Corrado G60

stevemac, cool, i think i will just stick to the G60 just got to make sure when i buy the car got someone to look it over with me cus i aint got a clue :? lol

Good thing to come to this forum, mo_527, welcome :-)

Most of the issues around the G-Lader have already been mentioned. I, too, have a G60 rado (albeit a LHD US-spec), based in Coventry, not too far away from B'ham :-)

The G-Lader in mine had also been serviced by Jabba, and that was fine by me until I started to notice excessive amounts of oil coming out of the Lader (thanks to the metal sieves that I use on my boost pipes to prevent Lader-debris from getting into the engine and intercooler). A trip down to G-Werks to have the Lader serviced properly sorted that once and for all :-)

Although I haven't driven a 16V Rado myself yet, RobyD, who's also on this forum, and lives in Coventry, has taken me for a few trips in his 16V. We've even had some less serious little races :lol:

The 1.8 16V (KR-engine code) certainly isn't a bad engine, but I personally think that the Rado is a bit too heavy for it. That engine can do a much better job in Mk2 Sciroccos, where they really fly. The 16V KR-engine is a rev-happy engine, it delivers most of its performance at the top end, whereas the G60 has, as Steve has already mentioned, lots of torque at the lower mid-end of the rev-range. For old farts like me that's just what I like :lol: At the top end, the G60, of course, still happily pulls :-)

Other things to consider on Rados are rear wheel brakes liking to seize (but with your low-mileage Rado that won't be an issue too soon yet), the fuel hoses in the G60-engine bay need replacing (that's most likely caused the fire in your mate's G60-engine bay), some senders on the G60-engine can do with replacing, the sunroof may either not tilt or slide or not do both, engine mounts on the G60 can benefit from being replaced (again, 73000 miles might still be OK for some time to come), and that's pretty much it.

It is best to have a good read through the buyers' guide here on the forum, and if you then have any further questions, ask them :-)

Oh, and start to watch out for new Midlands Meets (Events forum) again in the near future, where I try and get together as many VW-nuts as I can somewhere in the Midlands for a pubmeal and lots of talking about our cars, of course :-)

Tempest

From the RAC site:

Vehicle details

Manufacturer VOLKSWAGEN

Model CORRADO G60

Body type COUPE

Colour GREEN

Fuel type PETROL

Date manufactured 30 December 1992

Number of previous owners 3

Last owner change 03 May 2003

Looks like a good 'un. If you go for it, get a proper HPI to get the mileage verified.

Their is a couple of us in Birmingham so I'm sure one of us can help give it the once over!

assuming the guys number on the ad is his home address the car is in the Bouremouth area!!

Dub_nut_g60, thank you all the info im getting is really useful i have wanted a corrado for ages just couldnt afford, but i also want to make sure i get my moneys for and not but a car and spending more money on faults.

If i come across a few things on the car is it ok for me to ask you please?

no problem, feel free to drop me a PM, the car is only 32 miles away from me so dont mind taking a look, always willing to help a fellow raddo owner!

you must bear in mind that these cars are getting old and will need occasional attention but the good thing is most of the work is easy enough to do yourself (or rope another forum member into helping with!)

assuming the guys number on the ad is his home address the car is in the Bouremouth area!!

Strange one that, I noticed that, too, but based on my Coventry postal code, Autotrader still claimed I'm only 32 miles away from said Rado.

Tempest

Dub_nut_g60, yeh i live in bournemouth see that corrado parked up quite often looks tidy and looked after always clean!! wud offer to have a look save you coming from portsmouth i only live a mile or 2 away but probly dont know as much as you guys on here! mo_527 hope you find a good one i looked at 3 or 4 before i found the right one!