Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

Front Speakers - advice needed

Have already read thru many of the threads in this section already, but not found the definitive ansa to what i want to know.

Am about to get a new head unit for the VR, and want to upgrade the speakers some time soon too.

Thing is, i really cant afford the Audioscape pods. What i really need to know is what i can get away with using the current door speaker holes and if i replace the 2 in the dash. Dont know what size they are, and dont know what to buy either. Tend to listen to alot of Bands with mainly "real" instruments in the music i.e. Manics / U2 / Red Hot chillis etc.

Was also told that if you have a sub woofer in the boot, its a bad idea to mount 6x9's on the shelf as they are going to be fighting each other? any truth in this? If so, how can i upgrade the rear speakers? They are only tiny areny they? 5x4 or something like that? I know its asking alot of info, but i do need to know a fair but before parting with my cash. Dont want to do something i regret after!

Cheers for any advice folks.

Well the speaker sizes are IIRC

Dash - 4"

Front Door - 5.25"

Rears - 4x6"

From what I know there's no point in installing 4" speakers in the dash. These will be so bad quality that you'd be better going for a good set of 5.25" for the fronts and installing the tweaters in the dash for some high end fill. If you can amp the fronts then that's all the better depending on the output of your headunit.

For the rears if you want to replace the 4x6 you can (I replaced mine for the JBL 4x6 and they sounds pretty good for what they are). However lots of people think this is just pointless so it's down to you. I only did it to add some rear fill and some high end fill for those in the back.

Then it's your choice.... sub or 6x9s. If you go for both the pressure of the sub in the boot will throw off the 6x9s and make them sloppy. So it's probably one or the other. If you're not a basshead then a set of good quality amped 6x9s will probably do you proud. Something like Infinity or Alpine, but not the entry level ones.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

My Setup: -

Alpine 9847 HU

Alpine 5.25" front components (with tweaters in the dash)

JBL 4x6 rear shelves

10" JBL sub-tube in the boot

Lil' wonder 5 amp running 5 channels.....

I find mine a little boomy in the back, so still needs some tweaking :D

I have an amp that i want to use to power the speakers.

yes i do want Bass. Not "stupid show off @ car show bass". Just good quality bass that doesnt have to be turned up to sound good (but still sounds good when you do turn it up), and I do want a sub in the back as they always give the sort of sound i am lookin for. Just not sure what to go for at the moment. Have got bags of cash to throw at it either.

Well just remember that if you're spending money the headunit has to be what you spend it on really.... else no matter what speakers you get it'll sound really bad :roll:

Alpine are good but pricey... Kenwood are cheap all-rounders... Sony some people say are good, but others say a bit boomy...

ironically, its the same head unit as yours im having fitted! Havent had an Alpine for years. Cant wait to have it in! Will be like "Being home"!

I'd get some 5.25 inch comps in the front with the tweeters in the dash. Amp them up and set the crossovers so that they don't get too much low freq stuff. A 5.25 inch cone is never going to much that much air so no point in flogging them with sub frequencies. Then I'd get a small 10 inch sub in a sealed enclosure. The JL Audio e-series stuff is very good budget kit with a great pedigree. Also make sure you get some Dynamat in the doors. A simple set up using quality kit is always going to be better than filling the car with speakers. :)

bit off subject...hi mate, is your number plate snip

plate removed at Dels request! He knows about your post though :) -- Jim

Del, Ive got the alpine components up front with the tweeters hidden under the grilles on the dash and they sound ace. IIRC they were about 80 quid last summer but cant remember the name and number.

They dont thump (that is what the sub and 6x9s are for) but if you fade to fronts they sound pretty good.