Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Flashing Beeping Light

Right, i know sod-all about engines, but i know this problem is annoying... :mad:

Once the engine has been running for a while, and im cruising at around 30mph in 3rd, 40mph in 4th and 50mph in 5th, i get a red light flash and beep at me. The way i've solved it so far is to put your foot down a bit, or change down gears, increasing the revs, which stops it. :oops:

Ive come back from a week on holiday and the coolant temp gauge in the dashboard doesnt move, and the beep is beginning to happen more often. Ive checked my coolant level and its fine and there arent any leaks...

Can anybody help or suggest what the problem might be? If i were to replace the coolant would that help and what type of coolant is best?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Sounds like the oil pressure warning to me.

Either its a false alarm or the pressure is low. If the pressure gets too low you can do some serious damage to the engine. Have you checked the oil level recenlty?

Sounds like the oil pressure warning to me.

Either its a false alarm or the pressure is low. If the pressure gets too low you can do some serious damage to the engine. Have you checked the oil level recenlty?

As Phil says,

and if it's a false alarm it could just be corroded wiring at the oil pressure sensors or a duff sensor both happen.

David.

I thought it was oil related (a '91 G60 btw) but when checking my little book this morning it said coolant level. I have checked and as far as Im aware there are no oil leaks, I check my oil level regularly and its always fine, it was also serviced at the end of September, including an oil change.

I thought it was oil related (a '91 G60 btw) but when checking my little book this morning it said coolant level. I have checked and as far as Im aware there are no oil leaks, I check my oil level regularly and its always fine, it was also serviced at the end of September, including an oil change.

the coolant red light is in the top part of the temp gauge, the oil light is in the central cluster of LEDs/coloured bulbs, never had a VW beep at me if the coolant light flashes either.

Excuse the DP.

Is a duff or dirty sensor common as its been suggested before?

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to check for corrosion or dirt? Also, if the worst happened, and i had to visit a garage, is replacing a sensor likely to be expensive? Id rather let someone who knows what theyre talking about look at it, rather than risk ruining the engine.

Excuse the DP.

Is a duff or dirty sensor common as its been suggested before?

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to check for corrosion or dirt? Also, if the worst happened, and i had to visit a garage, is replacing a sensor likely to be expensive? Id rather let someone who knows what theyre talking about look at it, rather than risk ruining the engine.

sensors are a few quid from German Swedish and French or Euro Car parts, I've got a bunch kicking around in my toolbox and they're pretty comon on loads of VW's.

They just screw into the top of the oil filter housing, need a big spanner 24mm or something to undo them, an adjustable spanner will do, they're not tight. Each of the two oil pressure sensors, usually one black top one white top, have a single wire connector to them, on older cars this corrodes and the wire can break at the connector, that's the first thing to look at.

changing them is a five minute job, if that, sometimes the senders themselves die and can leak oil.

One sender activates a buzzer if pressure is too low at idle, the other will set of the buzzer at 2 or 3000 revs if pressure is not correct there.

I wouldn't drive far until these are checked, it could be a genuine oil pressure problem which won't do the engine any good, it's worth asking a garage if they can check the oil pressure for you with a gauge.

David.

I wouldn't drive far until these are checked, it could be a genuine oil pressure problem which won't do the engine any good, it's worth asking a garage if they can check the oil pressure for you with a gauge.

Agreed, and before you go any further have a listen for any new rattling/knocking noises from the engine. If there are any switch off right away, and have the oil strainer and pump checked out.

dont want to alarm you, but my oil pressure light started beeping and flashing and im now replacing the engine!

i would really get it checked out especially as its a g60

Hi

This happened to my old Raddo, The cause of it was the oil was to thin. So i put in thicker 10w 40 magnatex in, problem solved. That was in a valver though hope this help's