Sign in to follow this  
fla

Rear Caliper windback tool

Just looking through the Draper catalogue and they've got a caliper windback tool for about £7. Will this fit or is the Sykes one from Halfords the only compatible one? I guess you could also easily make up something from a metal block and correctly spaced bolts? I've not opened the rear calipers so i'm assuming its two holes which provide the locking mechanism for the removal tool?

Just looking through the Draper catalogue and they've got a caliper windback tool for about £7. Will this fit or is the Sykes one from Halfords the only compatible one? I guess you could also easily make up something from a metal block and correctly spaced bolts? I've not opened the rear calipers so i'm assuming its two holes which provide the locking mechanism for the removal tool?

good ones tend to come with a set of adaptors for different sized pistons and calipers.

It's two grooves in the piston, slightly tapering towards the centre.

I've wound them back with a pair of long nosed pliers before, but a wind back tool is much easier!

David.

IIRC i could not get the draper one to work very well, i think it says somewhere on the opacket that it's not suitable for VW's, it will work tho. What i did was to find an old socket and grind it down until there was just two pegs left and use that to turn it.

The Halfords one is now Laser at £19.95.

It's two cut-out section in the rim lip of the piston that it engages.