Sign in to follow this  
philO

Grinding 2nd gear

I'm not sure quite when it started but over the past few weeks when selecting 2nd gear there is a terrible sound of graunching! it doesn't happen when i push the gear stick as far left as possible or when let the stick find its own neutral position before going for 2nd. double de-clutching also cures it! it usually happens when pulling away faster than usual and when the revs are still high but on their way down, if you get what i mean! sometimes when it grinds it feels asthough the gear stick has gone between 2nd and 4th, but i might be mistaken.

any help greatfully recieved before i do any more damage!!! the car has only done 94k and is a 1990 G

cheers phil

The syncro meshes on 2nd gear are renowned for being a weak point on the VW boxes... :roll: :? It sounds like yours is just starting to wear....

Something that may help is to change the gear oil in the box, especially if it's only just started to do it...

I normally use a mixture of half semi-synthetic gear oil, and half standard gear oil (basically making it a quarter synthetic! :lol: ) which is just thick enough to ease slight problems like this without causing too much drag in the box making more problems...

Good luck with it, hope it doesn't turn out to be anything nastier... 8)