Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

In-car video for trackdays etc- any advice?

Hi Guys,

Been looking to get an in-car vid recorder set up before I take the car out to the 'ring in late spring. Using a high-spec sony palmcorder so the pics are fine- having a bit of trouble with the sound as it seems to pick far more road noise up than the in-car vids I watch on the internet- and yet I always thought the Corrado was quite refined (ie quiet)

Anyone got any experience/ advice on this- Can I filter out the road noise later in an editing program? Or what about having the mic under the bonnet and then messing around with the sound levels later?

TBH the whole effect is in the sound- the video alone doesn't really convey any sense of anything really- which is why I want the sound spot on.

Cheers for any help.

Mike

Get yourself a Mic extension and fix it under the hood. Loadsa engine noise a bit of tyre squeal and none of you going Ohhhhhhhhhh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt as you sling it down the straight.

i dont think youre allowed any recording equipment on the `ring, cos it makes people try harder for a certain time and = more crashes

dunno where i heard that but i`d check it out first

dont think that is the case on the ring. Its certainly the case on msome track days, but the ring is a public toll road, and you can do what the feck you like on it!

Nope.. Nurburgring rules state that you can't capture in car video! It was a rule introduced in 2004. Get caught with an in car camera and you'll get turfed out and banned!

the reason videos were banned at the ring is that someone posted a vid on the internet of someone else dying in an accident,

some cars are aloud on with cameras, but theyre for mags, dvds.

if you get caught, your likely to be banned for a while from the ring. if you still wanna do it

bullet cams, hidden in the grille or splitter hooked up to a wireless transmitor wit the camera hidden somewhere in the car.

and im off to the ring again in July, maybe see you there!

Oh well- Don't really fancy getting banned from the place.

Still want to get some good footage down on tape. I have just bought a little lapel mic with a three metre lead and will do some runs with it mounted in the engine bay and see what I get- Just need a good place to put it- out of any airflow but in a place to get a good engine note- It might sound Sh!te but I'll give it a try.

Suprised more people don't do this- especially the VR's that have such a lovely soundtrack!

Cheers for advice anyway 8)

Well you never know - friends at the bbc and all I might just be able to help out at some point with getting in car footage done. Perhaps see if I can get the BBC to help us out filming.

As you all know my next door neighbour works for the beeb as a researcher and sometimes does camera work - but they owe me a favour as I let them film in my house a little while ago!!!!

I've done track days with my V8 MGB...stuffing a lapel mike wrapped in foam in the over-rider just above the exhaust makes an absolutely fabulous sound-track.

Re camera mounting, I bolted a box section between the headrests, and fixed the camera onto this.......rev counter just visible in bottom corner of picture.