Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

Who rebuilds Driveshafts??

Din't know you could refurbish a driveshaft?

What would they do to it, bearing in mind it's just a piece of solid metal! Wouldn't it be better to buy new ones??

Not making a statement there just asking the question!

knock the CV joints off, bin them

have the shafts shotblasted (and no doubt chromed)

fit new GKN CV joints from GSF, (about £20 each) but with genuine VAG gaiters (plastic, not rubber, they don't split, shame they are £18 each!)

New bolts, washers and gaskets from VAG

They should then look like mine:-

51675535.jpg

51675541.jpg

you can go mentla nd nuy the uprated driveshaftshop ones, but you on;y really need those if you're racing and giving the drivetrain serious hammer.

just remembered, i actually have a brand new VR6 near side driveshaft with brand new genuine VAG CV's. picked it up at at a show a while ago, but would let it go for £50 if anyone wants it.

my cv joints are giving me bother at present - PhatVR6 would you mind telling what gaskets/washers/bolts are needed? cheers :)

the gaskets/washers and bolts that you can see in the pics!!!

well, you can't see the washers, but they are those long things with the holes in each end that go between 2 bolts.

I'm well proud of those, how good do they look!!!

I went to put them back in the other day, can't find any of the bolts!!

do golfs have the same driveshafts? thinking of getting some donored ones, fitting them all up (as in your pics) then swapping them over.

yes they do look good!!

Mk3 golf VR6's and GTis ahve the same as VR6's

Mk2 Golf GTI's have the same as corrado's that have 4 stud fitment.

although I believe corrado g60 items may be stronger.

well thats what i'm wondering - whether the g60s might be a little stronger. i'm guessing theyll cost a fortune new - and theres next to no chance of getting any up here from a breakers - so hopefully someone on here will sell some decent ones from a parts break up...

Phat - are these solid shafts or do they have any bearings in etc? I am hoping I have sourced some driveshafts and have a powdercoating company waiting for them... But they raised this question. Did you just shotblast them or also paint them (ie powdercoat) too?

when you knock the CV joints off you're left with just a steel bar, the shaft itself, which you can then blast and powdercoat. I didn't have access to this equipment at the time so I just wire wheeled the rust off and spray painted them.

thanks - I'm going to get someone to do them for me - it won't cost much as theres little to do really...

cheers for the pointers :)

Just bought new inner and outer CV's from GSF £175. Still got the VW boots to buy yet. Might clean up the factory ones, see if they can be re-used saving me another £18x4!!!